Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

5D Mark II lens compatibility chart
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Many thanks to all the contributors for creating this extraordinarily helpful thread.

I'm just about ready to make the full-frame jump, so the 5DMkII compatibility issues are now a matter of immediate concern for me.

I do have a question about the relationship between the "Possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in normal mode?" column (Column C) and the "Possible to take pictures focusing at distances other than infinity?" column (Column E). I have the feeling I'm misreading these headings, because I'm not sure I understand how it's possible for a lens to be a "YES" in Column C, with focus racked all the way back, and a "NO" in Column E, with the lens focused further forward (examples, per the spreadsheet, include the S-M-C Takumar 24/3.5 as well as the Meyer Primagon 35/4.5 and Primopan 58/1.9).

Do these lenses really work at infinity but not at closer settings? Or am I not properly understanding the column headings?

Thanks for being patient with a full-frame novice!

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:

Pretty obvious what is sticking out.

Anyway i wouldn't bet on 1:2.8 version. Most samples i saw work on 70% abilities due to at least one foggy element inside (condensation).

Hi, Dear Pancolart,
I have a lens same as yours, but mirror hit on 5D2. I am using a BIG IS with chip adapter.
I have a CZJ Pancolor 1.8/50, also mirror hit on 5D2. So sad.
What will you suggest me to do?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a workshop with grinding machine that also strongly vacuum sucks dust and parts. Protect parts as much as you can. Grind the perturbing part. Clean any possible residues after grinding (focusing will get stuck if metal dust gets into system). Let the PRO do it for you. It will take him 10 minutes for both lenses if you prepare everything for him. That shouldn't be expensive.

Paint wounded part matte black on the end.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Find a workshop with grinding machine that also strongly vacuum sucks dust and parts. Protect parts as much as you can. Grind the perturbing part. Clean any possible residues after grinding (focusing will get stuck if metal dust gets into system). Let the PRO do it for you. It will take him 10 minutes for both lenses if you prepare everything for him. That shouldn't be expensive.

Paint wounded part matte black on the end.

Hi, Pancolart,
Thanks for your suggestion. By the way, it seams that you no need to do grinding. Right?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't check anymore since lens was sold. Anyway you couldn't take my word for granted due to models variation and different infinity adjustments.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: pentacon Reply with quote

Hi,

I have Pentacon MC Auto 50/1.8 and i don't know what to do. Do u know ? is it working with 5dmkII ? / sorry for english i;m from abroad ;P

It seems to work for me but i am little confusion about it, i don't want to broke my mirror.

Distance beetwen mirror and bagnet in 5d2 is about 1,5mm imo, do u confirm this ? and distanace between back side of lens when its in infinity and when its hidden it about 0,7 mm. Also i don't hear any noise while taking a picture beyond a natural sound of shutter.

any help ? : )

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have done a db in mysql and i'm putting this values ...
my db also works with differents cameras
and for any lens you can also insert web-site links with tag for other informations!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a 5dmkii and have a question, for lenses that do hit the mirror, or block the mirror, in normal shooting mode through the view finder, is it safe to just put the camera in live view and then mount the lens, and then would you have focus to infinity and avoid hitting the mirror? The main lens I am concerned with is a SMC tak 50, I just don't want to take any chances with my new camera.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome namtot
it is normal to be careful with your new 5DII
after 1 year, I took the dremel and cut the mirror Smile

namtot wrote:
I just picked up a 5dmkii and have a question, for lenses that do hit the mirror, or block the mirror, in normal shooting mode through the view finder, is it safe to just put the camera in live view and then mount the lens, and then would you have focus to infinity and avoid hitting the mirror? The main lens I am concerned with is a SMC tak 50, I just don't want to take any chances with my new camera.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I was reading about that, but I'm not sure I'm ready to go that far lol..

Also, does anyone know of a Nikon adapter that is precisely machined and wont go past infinity? I have been looking at the cinevate one that b&h carries, but wouldn't mind suggestions, I'm sure a lot of people here have experience with adapters and the various makers of them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello guys. well at first i have to say this is just an superb awesome forum and this thread is a savior Smile

ok well, i have also a new mk2, yesterday just tested one lens and it hits mirror also.. :/ was so afraid to do it. was googling alot to find out how to safely check if lens hits mirror or not, but i couldnt, so i just checked.. still feeling bad cuz of that, though nothing happened.

anyway, in excel i saw Soligor 28mm f2.8 doesnt hit the mirror, but well it does. maybe in excel other maker or such, not sure.

full name of lens - Auto Soligor 28mm, f2.8. when you set focus just a little bit from infinity its ok, it doesnt reach mirror. it needs sooo minimum space between mirror and end of lens and it would be good. anyway, im sad because of that, now ill need to find another lens (wide angle, for landscapes) which is truly ok with mk2. if anyone knows a really good option, which will work 100%, please do tell me. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Canon 5DMkII mirror shortend Reply with quote

I had to get the mirror of my 5DII shortend for the following Contax/Zeiss lenses, with some minor changes on the rear end of the lenses:

1. Zeiss Distagon T* 3,5/15mm
2. Zeiss Distagon T* 4.0/18mm
3. Zeiss Distagon T* 2.0/28mm
4. Zeiss Tessar T* 2.8/45mm
5. Zeiss Planar T* 1.4/50mm
6. Mutar II T*

My Camera/Lens repair service firm, did really a perfect job on the camera body mirror, and the above mentioned glasses, so I can still use them on my Contax RTSIII and Contax AX cameras!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please note that I've had no issues with either AE or MM Contax Zeiss Planar 50/1.4 lenses, they shouldn't need modification for use on full frame.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: Mir 1B and Takumar SMC Macro 50mm f4.0 Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I shipped today the Canon 7D and bought a 5DMKII. Canon aficionados are turning crazy to have the MKIII and now it's time to get out and shop the old and nice MKII, as prices had droped.

I readed the hole thread and didn't find any information about these lenses:

Mir 1B 35mm/f2.8 and and Takumar SMC Macro 50mm f4.0

I'm waiting Mir1b to arrive from Latvia and i'm thinking about to get a the Tak macro 50/f4, just keeping an eye on ebay to check prices. Two lenses the catch my attention too are the Jupiter9 85/f2 and the Takumar 85/1.9

I like to use sometimes several Pentacon i have around here:
50/1.8 M42, 50/1.8 PB, 135/2.8 PB and 200/f4 PB.

Any known issues with MKII with theses lenses and mirror clearance?

Thanks for all and let's keep this thread alive!

Also, thanks to Atilla to help me in private at ebay with some issues with a big_is PB-EOS adapters,

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated the speadsheet with Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 4/25 M42 Zebra.

Mirror sticks at infinity. Close/mid range ok.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: First shots and sharing Reply with quote

Well,

The 5DMkII arrived few days ago and i had the chance to check some lenses - Mr. Spreadsheet Boss, please update - if it's not already done...

Pentacon Prakticar MC M42 50/1.8 - Plastic anti-dust protection protruding part shaved, and now it's ok.
Pentacon Prakticar MC PB 50/1.8 - Same as above.
Pentacon Prakticar MC PB zoom 35/70 3.5-4.5 (almost sure it's a Japanese version, not GDR). Hits the mirror, can't be used, no mods possible without dismantling the lens and seriously grinding the back barrel, which i'll not do, prefer sell these lens.
Pentacon 30/3.5 Meyer-Optik Lydith version- hits the mirror, but possible to use in live view mode, if the infinity lens position is not set when the mirror moves up and down. Annoying, prefer to sell these lens too to someone who has a APS-C or other sensor smaller than full frame.
Leica-R Summicron 50/2.0 1CAM fungus version Very Happy with adapter Leica-R-EOS - Ok, as spreadsheet marked.
Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135/3.5 M42 with cheap M42-EOS adapter: OK
Asahi SMC Takumar 135/3.5 M42 with cheap M42-EOS adapter: OK
Pentacon Prakticar 2.8/135 MC PB (Meyer-Optik Orestor project) - Same shaving operation as above with 50/1.8 PB and then can be used with big_is PB-EOS adapter.
Pentacon Auto 4/200 MC - Same procedure as with other PB Pantacon, and OK with big_is PB-EOS adapter.
Carl Zeiss Jena Ddr Tessar 2.8/50 M42 - Ok, using cheap M42-EOS adapter.

Some days more and i'll post myself the smyles and tears using the MarkII with Mir 1b and Takumar 35/3.5.

Keep the wheel rolling,

RSalles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pls give permission to the sheet! thanks! email: potar23 (at) gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Pancolar 50mm f1.8 M42 MC ? I didn't find entry in tables.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: How to open excel file? Reply with quote

I looked through the first 5 pages here but still wonder how to open the list. Advice please.

p.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: still unable to access the spreadsheet Reply with quote

Since I cannot access the spreadsheet I will give a verbal report on my latest experiment.

I have had the final Kern MacroSwitar version sitting on a shelf for quite some time. It came in a M42mount with an Alpa adapter.

Exept for the Extensan versions and some Kilfitts, the Al mount precludes use on EOS. Unscrewing the adapter, however, allows mounting on EOS. Alas, infinity does not seem to be possible. The mirror hits when focussing beyond som 5 to 10m.

p.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCHNEIDER KREUZNACH
Xenon 2.8/50 M42 version

hit mirror at near infinity. must use LV.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently acquired a 5D mk ll, am I right in thinking that a lens could cause issues if any part of it protrudes beyond the mount?

My Planar 50/1.7 has a tiny bit sticking out while my Nikon 50/1.2 has a metal prong which I think is there to protect the rear element if the lens is placed on a flat surface (why would you do that?)

I don't know the best way to test for problems, safely. Sad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot

A fast way to test if a lens will hit the mirror of EOS FF is to observe the back part of the lens with the adapter installed: if any part of the lens protrudes from adapter it will probably hit the mirror when focusing the infinity. You can test also with a rule, moving it over the back side of the adapter, to check if it touches the lens back. Some lenses deserves a shaving intervention and it's ok - Mir 1B, some versions of Helios 42, and so on. Other lens have the back element to far into the camera body - Takumar 3.5/35 f.i. - and can not be used at infinity.
You'll not brake the mirror camera just testing it, I did several times, gently touching the mirror, and the Mk II I own is ok.

HTH,

RSalles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSalles wrote:
SonicScot

A fast way to test if a lens will hit the mirror of EOS FF is to observe the back part of the lens with the adapter installed: if any part of the lens protrudes from adapter it will probably hit the mirror when focusing the infinity. You can test also with a rule, moving it over the back side of the adapter, to check if it touches the lens back. Some lenses deserves a shaving intervention and it's ok - Mir 1B, some versions of Helios 42, and so on. Other lens have the back element to far into the camera body - Takumar 3.5/35 f.i. - and can not be used at infinity.
You'll not brake the mirror camera just testing it, I did several times, gently touching the mirror, and the Mk II I own is ok.

HTH,

RSalles

Thanks for that.
I tested all my lenses on the 5D today and only the Nikon 50/1.2 was a problem. The small metal tab was easily removed and now it works perfectly. The Planar 50/1.7 does have a little bit protruding from the back but it didn't interfere with the mirror.
All in all, I'm delighted. Very Happy

(the Samyang 8/3.5 is for crop sensors, I'll use my Zenitar 16mm fisheye instead)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory, a notched rule where the notch matches the clearance between the rear of the mount and the mirror would make determining whether the mirror will catch or not much easier. Different notch depths could then be used for 5D/ii/iii and 6D. If the data was available to calculate the clearance profile.

Is the spreadsheet messed up again? - the red highlights aren't making it easy to read the red text in some of the boxes. At least one line that says "Yes" appears to be based on an Ebay observation rather than direct experience (Rolleinar).