Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How safe to buy a 5D unseen?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: How safe to buy a 5D unseen? Reply with quote

Hello all,
I've all but decided to buy a used Canon 5D (Mark I). However, I've never bought a used camera online, only lenses. How big are the risks? Should I buy it locally instead, and have the chance to check it out? That would be harder, since there are not that many 5Ds for sale here.

There is a thread which mentions several things that might malfunction: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=14953&highlight=&sid=742b978c5a352963b2346354dc349f62

I do have an AF lens to check the camera, and a laptop. I intend to use the camera mostly with MF lenses.

The lenses that I have do not require that I shave the mirror of the 5D (except for my Rokkor 58/1.2, which is converted to A-mount for use on my Sony A350).

I also asked this question at manualfocus.org: http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=13293

/Erik

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buying unseen could involve a great risk.

Some 5D are used by professionals and could be heavily used.

Some sellers sell Cameras with damage, physical damage can be easily seen, buy if it was water damage you could be in real trouble.

Where are you planning to buy the camera? At least i would ask for pictures, and return policy. Also, it should be significantly cheaper than buying from a local user.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mine unseen off ebay, took a risk I suppose, but I just had a "good" feeling about it. Trust your instincts and read the feedback (if on ebay) if possible try it before you buy it. I bought from someone who is not more than 30 miles from me so I could go there to return it if there was a problem, I probably wouldn't of bid if it was too far from me to follow up any problems. As it happens It was all as described (if not better!).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a local one on blocket.se, checked it as well as I could and bought it. So far I'm happy, except that there is a bit of a learning curve.

/Erik