Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mystery Lens - Anyone Recognise Please?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Mystery Lens - Anyone Recognise Please? Reply with quote

This is a mystery to me - it's a Canon FD fit - but other than that? I do not even remember buying / being gifted it!

Pics:

Unusually, there is nothing written on the lens inner bezel at all, the only script is around the outside rim...

Thanks!

Doug

PS First pic taken with trusty Adaptall-2 SP 35-80... My favourite lens bar none!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery Lens - Anyone Recognise Please? Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:
This is a mystery to me - it's a Canon FD fit - but other than that? I do not even remember buying / being gifted it!

Does it have any strange qualities:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objects_from_The_Lost_Room
Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a Komura -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery Lens - Anyone Recognise Please? Reply with quote

Aha!

At last a simple and straightforward explanation of the phenomenon! lol

Now which of these destructible / indestructible objects might it be?

Doug

kansalliskala wrote:
nemesis101 wrote:

Does it have any strange qualities:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objects_from_The_Lost_Room
Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your lens is a Prinz Auto Zoom Rexatar.

See
http://cgi.ebay.it/Prinz-Auto-Zoom-Rexatar-Lens-F-4-5-85-210_W0QQitemZ7508049452QQihZ006QQcategoryZ4688QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Not so sure...? Reply with quote

Hmm two points..

It is tantalizingly similar - but the centre section has only a single grip-band, and it is considerably different in proportion to the one posited?

They may be kissing cousins but mine would not have enough room for the two centre grips shown in this exemplar..

And the second point - Prinz was, I believe a marketing device for the Dixons chain in the UK and maybe elsewhere - they did not make their own lenses any more than Vivitar did? So the mystery remains, but thanks anyway!

Doug.

Gurdie wrote:
I think your lens is a Prinz Auto Zoom Rexatar.

See
http://cgi.ebay.it/Prinz-Auto-Zoom-Rexatar-Lens-F-4-5-85-210_W0QQitemZ7508049452QQihZ006QQcategoryZ4688QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rexatar looks like it may be a Sun. 85-210/4.8 was a common Sun two-touch preset (and some with integrated "automatic" pistol-grip) that they sold a heck of a lot of in the late 1960's-70's. It was replaced with an auto version that was f/4.5 in the 1970's, one of those "space-age" looking things. The Sun zooms were sold by various merchants, often found as Aetna Rokunar, with a less extreme look and often a fixed mount instead of a YS.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on,

Now you are finding alternative origins for the lens that looks similar, but is not. mine! lol

Get your own threead Smile Smile

Now... what is MINE?

Doug.

luisalegria wrote:
The Rexatar looks like it may be a Sun. 85-210/4.8 was a common Sun two-touch preset (and some with integrated "automatic" pistol-grip) that they sold a heck of a lot of in the late 1960's-70's. It was replaced with an auto version that was f/4.5 in the 1970's, one of those "space-age" looking things. The Sun zooms were sold by various merchants, often found as Aetna Rokunar, with a less extreme look and often a fixed mount instead of a YS.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

??Early Viv made by Olympus????

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: The Plot Thickens... Reply with quote

Hmm

This is the same lens - apparently the seller did not know who made theirs either! lol

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Answer? Reply with quote

This seems to be it (with a few minor colour differences on the markings)

However it is marked Quantaray and they made nothing... so actual manufacturer still moot?

Doug.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject: The Plot Thickens... Reply with quote

Hmm

This is the same lens - apparently the seller did not know who made theirs either! lol

Click here to see on Ebay