Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SOS. Is my 20D dying?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: SOS. Is my 20D dying? Reply with quote

I notice this a few days ago and today I decided to do a more comprehensive test. Below are the pictures at various speed. Hint of shadow/dark top starts to show at speed 1/640. By 1/800, one can see a black band on to top portion of the picture as if something is covering the sensor. And complete darkness by 1/3200.

At first I thought it was the mirror not retracting completely. Then I tried mirror lockup, same result. My guess is the shutter does not completely retracts/opens at speed higher than 1/640.

What's is going on? Anyway to DIY it back to live?

1/250

1/400

1/500

1/640

1/800

1/1000

1/1250

1/1600

1/3200

1/5000

Flickr set is here http://www.flickr.com/photos/24046371@N07/sets/72157613753515755/

Last edited by bawang on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Khidhir.
That's a shutter giving up the ghost.
You will notice the slower speeds beginning to drag also over time.
I'm not sure what a shutter replacement cost is but, it is likely more than a 20D can be sold for.

On the upside. You have really got some years out of the 20D.
It is now 4 generations old. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy. Sorry, you had to be the bearer of that bad news, but at least I now know what's going on. Too bad that one cannot get the actual actuation count on that 20D. Probably it has reached its limit. I got it used in Dec. 2005, so it has served me good for the last 3 years +. I guess now I am in the market for new camera.

I do see a number of 5D going for ~$1K lately. Can one get accurate actuation count from the 5Ds? Many seller claims low actuations.

Looks like my EFS 10-22 will definitely be up for sale soon. Now I just have to find other lens to sell to make up the amount. That's going to be hard. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bawang wrote:
Thanks Andy. Sorry, you had to be the bearer of that bad news, but at least I now know what's going on. Too bad that one cannot get the actual actuation count on that 20D. Probably it has reached its limit. I got it used in Dec. 2005, so it has served me good for the last 3 years +. I guess now I am in the market for new camera.

I do see a number of 5D going for ~$1K lately. Can one get accurate actuation count from the 5Ds? Many seller claims low actuations.

Looks like my EFS 10-22 will definitely be up for sale soon. Now I just have to find other lens to sell to make up the amount. That's going to be hard. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

PhotoME can tell you the real counts, as long as they haven't been reset at service.
www.photome.de/download_en.html
Just open a raw or jpeg in PhotoME and look down the list of values for shutter count or file number.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a chance I will trade up and sell my 5D. The count is very low (5400 frames) and mirror shaved otherwise mint.
Not sure yet but will decide soon. I'm renting a 5DII for an event I'm shooting. If it blows me away I'll trade up. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If it blows me away I'll trade up.

.....what do you mean by if? From the samples I have seen, it's almost a given. Wink

Keep me inform about your plan.

One question, since its mirror is shaved, does it mean its good with the Rokkor?

Have a good a weekend!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Khidihir
I guess mostly I feel that the Still IQ of the original 5 is as good as it needs to be.
I have printed some of my moonlight stuff to 24x36 inches on canvas.
They look beautiful. It's hard to imagine needing better res for me.
The new 5 is interesting for the video and also I love the sensor cleaning.
I'm starting to hire out for some events and the video would be great to have.
I need a second body and will probably take a 40D as it is a super camera and very affordable.
Either that or just keep my 5 and add a 40 depending on how this rental goes Wink

As to the Rokkor. Yup it works on the 5D no issues with clearance now that it's shaved.
That said, it is not the Rokkor I got from you with JB's adapter kit.
It's one that has a PG adapter kit ( came from our member Ed Sawyer in another trade).
I will convert yours now that I have the kit from JB. Nice tip BTW thanks again so much Smile

Cheers
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:

PhotoME can tell you the real counts, as long as they haven't been reset at service.
www.photome.de/download_en.html
Just open a raw or jpeg in PhotoME and look down the list of values for shutter count or file number.

I've just double and treble checked with 5D files and I can't find a shutter activation count or file number (other than in the JPG title) anywhere. The file number tells you nothing because you can overwrite it by renaming the file and it resets every 10,000 shots, even if you don't do a manual reset.

It's a shame, I'd like to know how many times I've sent my 5D round the clock.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it's debunked here. http://www.flickr.com/groups/canon20d/discuss/72157594389608272/ I do however wonder how would Canon be able to get the actuation count, if they do. Otherwise, it would be questionable in warranty claim disputes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The positive spin on this would be that the shutters are meant to be good for something like 100,000 to 200,000 activations and unless you buy your camera from a pro it is unlikely to have had anywhere near a quarter of that usage, so 95%-plus of three or four year old DSLRs on the market are likely to have almost as much life left in them as when they were new. It's just bad luck if you get a much-used one.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem on a Nikon D2h and it has about 170.000 activations Wink in our country replacing a broken shutter can cost around 250€ for my camera

just to be precise it's not the exact problem... If I leave my d2h idle for a longer period of time (say about 1h) the first photo after powering up would be black or normal (maybe under exposed) producing "ERR" message and locking up everything, the nekt shot I take unlocks something (sounds like a mechanism) and than I'm good to go... with shorter shutter time my problem starts somewhere at 1/2000s with the same simptoms as yours

so I called the service couple of days ago explaining the problem and they said it could be just a simple clean-up of the shutter mechanism... it tends to build up some "dirt" (humidity does it's thing) over time thus making the shutter slower or not working properly... that's the best case scenario....

....or my shutter is dying too Confused but the previous owner said it was doing that to him for a year and a half and I've read some articles on forums about the famous "ERR" message on D2h with same simptoms.... I'm confused... until I dont get it cleaned I wont know what's causing the problems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikonD wrote:
....so I called the service couple of days ago explaining the problem and they said it could be just a simple clean-up of the shutter mechanism... it tends to build up some "dirt" (humidity does it's thing) over time thus making the shutter slower or not working properly... that's the best case scenario....

That is indeed something to ponder about. I might even try that...maybe I should get the air-can to give it a good blow or will I completely damage it?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Sorry Khidhir.
That's a shutter giving up the ghost.
You will notice the slower speeds beginning to drag also over time.
I'm not sure what a shutter replacement cost is but, it is likely more than a 20D can be sold for.

Not so expensive here! My 20D shutter is still working great, but replacing it would be EUR 150,-. I think a 20D is still worth 250 euro, especially in good condition with a healthy shutter?

However, if you seriously think of upgrading anyway, repair would be a waste of money, I guess. On the other hand, with a replaced shutter, the 20D could last for many more years!