Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Asahi 58mm f/2.4 Takumar (Heliar type)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Asahi 58mm f/2.4 Takumar (Heliar type) Reply with quote

I've shown a few examples with this lens before. This lens is seldom seen because it was sold with the Asahiflex (in M37 mount) and the first Pentaxes (in M42 mount). I'm lucky to have both versions.

What makes this lens interesting and unique is that it is still the only 35mm SLR standard lens that was designed around the Heliar type (five elements in three groups). All other lenses, from all makers, were mostly designed around the Gaussian design. Also, the 58mm f/2.4 Takumar is the fastest Heliar type of any format (as per Frank Mechelhoff's great site). It may not be the sharpest standard lens I own, but this lens will always be very special to me because of its unique design.

By the way, the last photo is a great testament to the designers of the Pentax K10D. That one was made handheld at 1/6s! Shocked

8. Handheld at 1/6s! Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spotmatic --- wow!!

love them ...

the first one is EXCEPTIONAL ..

tf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4th one really pops out!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 and #2 are exceptional Smile

Is the register distance of M37 similar to M42?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent set to demonstrate this unusual lens. Quite a testament. I must admit to being very impressed with the 3 taks I have acquired so far (I have a 105/2.8 on its way). Thanks, as always the presentation is very professional.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! Very Happy

no-X wrote:
#1 and #2 are exceptional Smile

Is the register distance of M37 similar to M42?

Yes, the register distance of the Asahiflex mount is exactly the same as the M42 mount.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I won't get tired to say it Very Happy... You are a great photographer Very Happy with a great sense!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#7 to me , awesome as always!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my eyes, # 1 is absolutely great. Exposure, composition, the blending of sharp and soft, muted colors... everything. The special lens apparently inspires you. Hope you have more this kind to come.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures, I like #1 very much for the pose with the finger on the glass, and #6 for how you separated the planes with the DOF.

I also like much your framing style.

P.S. If I remember correctly, the Heliar should be based on the Tessar scheme plus the addition of a glass to the front group. Is that correct?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words!

Orio: you are correct. If I may add the pictures from Frank Mechelhoff's site (http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Pentax_Takumar_e.html):

The optical diagram of the 50mm f/3.5 Asahi-Kogaku Takumar (Tessar type):

The optical diagram of the 58mm f/2.4 Takumar:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I saw this thread I knew I had to find one. The heliar in large format is a classic and much sought after lens, and playing with one of a similar formula on my DSLR was too much temptation to resist.

Anyway, after some searching and reading it began to sink in that this is a pretty rare lens and that finding one might be very difficult... and just when I'd given up hope I actually found one in a used store, for less than $100! Alas it is in the pesky M37 mount but there's an adapter on the way, I guess, and at worst I can rig something up with gaffers tape Wink

This has got to be the only time I've ever sought out something rare and collectible and actually found it at a reasonable price! I don't collect for collection's sake, I collect to shoot, so damnit I deserve it Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, where can I see more images from your lens? Thanks Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wooo ... wunderbar !!!
very nice shot

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful shots

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful pastel colors. Can you give a guess how much such lens is worth? I can't find any references (sign of rarity must be).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 is very nice,,

Today you get faster Heliar design lenses from Cosina Japan, namely

CV Heliar classic 50/2 L-mount, and
CV Heliar classic 75/1.8 M-mount (newest lens from Cosina)

Slower ones
CV Color-Heliar 75/2.5 L-(and many mount) and F-mount (SLII)
CV Heliar classic 50/3.5 L-mount

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Beautiful pastel colors. Can you give a guess how much such lens is worth? I can't find any references (sign of rarity must be).

http://kajiwara.weebly.com/formules-optiques-et-prix.html

I sold mine here for 95€ some months ago, I bought my minty one for 156€

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the link. I have a chance of acquiring one, but it's risky - no Ebay feedback guarantee.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done Peter, as always.The Heliar is a classic portrait lens, but gers quite sharp stopped down.
Personally I prefer a bit the Sonnar lens type (like the 58mm f2.0 Takumar), but that one has something indeed...

Cosina recently introduced the Classic Heliar f1.8/75mm (in Leica-M mount) and I'm grumbling about getting it...
f1.8 and a Heliar for portraits...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First picture is the best.
Other pictures are very good but the first is better