Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Boa Constrictor: A useful tool
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: The Boa Constrictor: A useful tool Reply with quote

Found in a big hardware store in a village nearby Barcelona, unvaluable to remove stuck filters or to unscrew barrels on lenses. Not expensive (9€).

(Pictures made with a SIGMA SD9 and the Helios 44-2 M42 lens).

Kind regards,

Jes.

Last edited by Jesito on Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very useful tool, if needs.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like it'd be very handy indeed - I'll keep an eye out for one and thanks for the tip Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. I hope I can find one around here. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you not find locally Alex (hk300) can ship from HK similar one.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very useful.
What's the maximun diameter it can grab?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's big... around 15cm diameter is the maximum that can be handled.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a nice tool! I could have used that to get the lousy adapter off my SD-14. My other adapter is the "Polish" one, and it has a little indent to help with removing, although so far I've been able to remove it by hand.

And I have to comment on the GREAT images, especially the sharp 1st image of the tool. The SD-9 and Helios 44-2 seems like they belong together!

Just for my own information, is the Helios 44-2 an all-around good lens?

Excellent work.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Wow, what a nice tool! I could have used that to get the lousy adapter off my SD-14. My other adapter is the "Polish" one, and it has a little indent to help with removing, although so far I've been able to remove it by hand.

And I have to comment on the GREAT images, especially the sharp 1st image of the tool. The SD-9 and Helios 44-2 seems like they belong together!

Excellent work.

Thanks Larry, I used the tool to unscrew a (before this) stuck filter on one of the Tamrons I got from Hacksawbob (he told me in advance), that had refused to go out with any other tool.

On the other hand, I use to use the Helios for everything, it's a 55mm lens good for everything from closeups to portrait. Smile
Being so cheap, it's a joy to have.

Kind regards,
Jes.
(BTW, my SD14 is on the way and will arrive next week).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Laurence wrote:

Excellent work.

Thanks Larry, I used the tool to unscrew a (before this) stuck filter on one of the Tamrons I got from Hacksawbob (he told me in advance), that had refused to go out with any other tool.

On the other hand, I use to use the Helios for everything, it's a 55mm lens good for everything from closeups to portrait. Smile
Being so cheap, it's a joy to have.

Kind regards,
Jes.
(BTW, my SD14 is on the way and will arrive next week).

So you just COULDN'T STAND IT, could you Jes? Laughing Had to spring for the SD-14! Congratulations, you'll be a great match for the camera.

The SD-9 is such a milestone camera, that you should hang on to it, simply for its unique entry into the market alone. I have a feeling that it will be collectible in the near future. Lots of things you have to do to make a good image with that camera. But when you get it right, it is awesome.

It's wonderful to be in the photographic field these days. I can augment my love of film with some unique varieties of digital cameras. It is nice to have the Pentax K110D and the SD-14 to apply to the whole of my equipment. And it is fortunate the the Pentax mount lenses will fit the SD-14 pretty well, as well as the nice M42 adapter. Like I always say, "It's ALL FUN!"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in the US, these are commonly called strap wrenches. They're easily found at plumbing-supply and home-improvement stores, and are available in various sizes and prices.