Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Velvia 50 in 35mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Velvia 50 in 35mm Reply with quote

A shot taken with Meyer Lydith on Velvia 50, ND split screen and a cheap circular polizer. Slide scanned with Epson v700 and post processed into PS (levels, curves, sharpness etc) then saved to the resolution of a Canon 5D (MkI) to have a good term of comparison.

Film Power!
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/d/30910-3/test.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say -- wow !! film is simply perfect!

I'd like to have a scanner ! The Epson V700 at least!

Allesandro, have you tried a fluid mount scanning?

This picture could be superb example...

tf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A GREAT image, and indicative of the power of film, indeed!

Marvelous, truly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:

tf

No wet mounting, but I'm waiting for a glass from betterscanning to help me to keep the film flat in the holder.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:
trifox wrote:

tf

No wet mounting, but I'm waiting for a glass from betterscanning to help me to keep the film flat in the holder.

You will like it!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a beautiful photo with superb balancing of the light. However, the resolution is way below the norm for a 5D. As 35mm Velvia 50 easily outresolves the 5D, the lens, filters and scanning have obviously seriously reduced the resolution, even though it would still make a great 16 inch by 10 inch print.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith, I think this is a straightforward Velvia shot (famously saturated emulsion) with the foreground and background balanced through the use of a graduated ND filter to darken the sky.

The image is unsharp primarily, I suspect, because of the lens. The use of filters will inevitably have caused further softening.

Whether you like it or hate it is entirely up to you, of course, but I suspect it is Velvia film you are liking or hating, rather than the processing.

I also think that rather than the foreground being bright and the background dark in the original scene, the opposite was the case, so a "natural" photo would have a dark foreground and blown out skies.