Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor 400 / 8 with an eyepiece.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:42 pm    Post subject: Soligor 400 / 8 with an eyepiece. Reply with quote

I bought this today, a very early Soligor 400 / 8. It's almost certainly a Tamron with its T393748 Serial number, it's in remarkably good condition - once I'd cleaned layers of greasy mess off it, and removed the tripod mount. There's no fungus and little dust even on the glass. It's a simple lens, light as a feather and it might have a simple lens coating. But it wasn't the lens I was really after, I already have a Soligor 400 / 6.3 ( Kiron ) and a Vivitar 400 / 5.6 ( Kiron ) What I wanted was the spotter scope eyepiece.

This has no branding, just a 'Japan' sticker, it's very nicely made and in great condition. It works very nicely and is very clear. I thought it would be the normal M42 x 1.0 ( Pentax etc ), but it is actually M42 x 0.75, it's the finer pitch found on T2 adapters - and it's a female thread. The Soiigor 400/8 is T2 M42 x 1, which has been forced in partially, without doing an damage thankfully. The only lens I have that fits is the 135 / 2.8 lens from my Tamron & Soligor Twin Tele 135 - 225 two piece lens - the M42 x 0.75 thread joins the two parts of the Twin Tele together, which leads me to think the eyepiece might be Tamron? But I can find no information on it at all. I'm sure someone here will though.

Eyepiece on the Tamron Twin Tele 138 / 2.8

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a home-made range spotter to me- especially with the nicely angled front foot installed backwards.
Probably made for use from prone. It's actually a bit on the low side for bench use.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original tripod mount has been removed. I suspect you will find the groove for it under the homemade prop.

If I recall correctly, there were third party eyepiece adapters for tele lenses on the market in the 1960's-70's.

Might be worth looking at Spiratone catalogs.