Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Focus throw; range, sensitivity, or a conflated measure?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Focus throw; range, sensitivity, or a conflated measure? Reply with quote

I have come across contradicting uses of the term "focus throw" and wondered if anyone can shed some light on the correct definition (if there is one).

1) Some seem to understand it to be the total degrees a focus ring needs to be turned to go from infinity to the minimum focus distance, i.e. a less useful conflated measure of both focus range and sensitivity.
2) Others seem to understand it to be the required degree of turning the focus ring to change focus by a given distance, i.e. a pure measure of sensitivity.

I suspect "focus throw" usually refers to concept 1), which means it isn't really a useful terminology to use for indicating the focus sensitivity of a lens, as it conflates the measures of focus sensitivity and focus range.

Is there in fact any existing terminology for clearly indicating the focus "sensitivity" of a lens? E.g. a useful metric could be the required degree of turn of the focus ring to go from infinity to 100 times the focal length of a lens, so e.g. for a 50mm lens the required degree of turn to go from infinity to 5m focus, for a 300mm lens to go from infinity to 30m, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 is correct

2 is probably something video people use but video is not photography

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
1 is correct

Video person here. Not anything video people use. It's not really clear. Generally focus throw means the amount of rotation needed to go from infinity to MFD, but since MFD is different for different lenses, that means a different amount of focus change per degrees of rotation. I have never seen focus throw defined as anything but how many degrees to turn the lens "stop to stop". Interestingly, it should be possible with electronic focusing to make the focus change slower nearing infinity per amount of rotation, or conversely faster as you get closer, which might make focusing more precise at a distance and quick close up, but since everyone is so used to linear focusing, it would take some getting used to...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:
D1N0 wrote:
1 is correct

Video person here. Not anything video people use. It's not really clear. Generally focus throw means the amount of rotation needed to go from infinity to MFD, but since MFD is different for different lenses, that means a different amount of focus change per degrees of rotation. I have never seen focus throw defined as anything but how many degrees to turn the lens "stop to stop". Interestingly, it should be possible with electronic focusing to make the focus change slower nearing infinity per amount of rotation, or conversely faster as you get closer, which might make focusing more precise at a distance and quick close up, but since everyone is so used to linear focusing, it would take some getting used to...

yeah 1:1 macro's tend to have an extremely long throw. But it also depends on focal length. The longer a lens the longer the throw tends to be because you need more distance to focus. It can probably also vary depending on how steep the focusing helicoid is.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:
D1N0 wrote:
1 is correct

Personally, I find that linear focus is far more amenable to using muscle memory when bumping the lens around optimum focus.

For classic unit-focusing lenses with helicoid, at "normal" focus distances the diameter of the circle of confusion on either side of the sweet spot is near perfectly linear with the rotation of the lens focusing ring. Under that behaviour humans are surprisingly good at homing in on symmetric "bouncing" of the circle of confusion and associated micro-contrast, and then using muscle memory to set the exact sweet spot in the middle. This method of focusing gets messed up by any poorly designed electronic adaptive focus speed/acceleration, hence some users don't like it, myself included. This applies mostly to using a matt-screen, a little less so to microprisms/focus wedge.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for topic.

I've understood focus throw to be degrees of turn. How degrees of turn affect distance of focus, i.e. ease of nailing focus, depends on helical fineness, focal throw, and focal length. For example, of two lenses with with equal focal length, equal helical fineness, but unequal focus throw, the ease of focus will be identical, however, one lens will have a closer minimum focus distance. I believe such is the case with common 500mm mirror lenses. I could be wrong.

Ease of focus also depends on contrast and aperture. For example, a high contrast Tamron 500mm lens is easier to focus than a lower contrast 500mm lens if apertures are equal. A faster 500mm will be easier to focus, depending on focus throw and helical fineness.

A relationship between focal length, aperture, focus throw, and helical fineness.

And we thought the four way relationships of RGBW and CMYK color spaces was a difficult concept. LOL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

A relationship between focal length, aperture, focus throw, and helical fineness.

And we thought the four way relationships of RGBW and CMYK color spaces was a difficult concept. LOL

It should not be too difficult in theory; besides, focal length drops out of the equation as we are considering depth of focus on the image side, not depth of field on the object side. All that is relevant are the f/# stop, helicoid pitch and a chosen circle of confusion criterion (except at macro distances).

Whilst calculating depth of field distances in metres (or feet) based on a circle of confusion requires some calculations, because of the relationship of the circle of confusion to the depth of focus, on unit-focusing classic helicoid lenses this becomes a reasonably linear angular distance on the lens' focus ring.

Assuming sufficient contrast, ease of focus ultimately comes down to by how much the diameter of the (observable) circle of confusion changes for a given rotational adjustment of the focus ring;

- Too sensitive, and it is impossible to focus by hand (modern autofocus lenses mostly)
- Too insensitive and the image will bounce in and out of focus too slowly for muscle memory to find the sweet spot (some very old lenses)

Somewhere in between is ideal.

Perhaps a better metric would be the rate of change of the diameter of the circle of confusion per degree turn at wide-open aperture.

- E.g. a 35mm film format f/2 lens (of any given focal length) could have a quoted focus sensitivity metric of 15 micron/degree at f/2, which would mean that for every degree turn of the focus ring the diameter of the circle of confusion would increase by 15 micron.
- Assuming the classic 30 micron diameter of the circle of confusion criterion used for DOF scales, the near and far f/2 depth of field scale markers would each be 30 microns / (15 microns/degree) = 2 degrees away from the infinity mark. The f/4 DOF markers would be 4 degrees away from the infinity mark, etc.
- You could even make the metric independent of f/# stop by quoting the focus sensitivity at a theoretical f/1.0, which would then simply be the same as the helicoid pitch/360. In the example above the lens would then have a quoted focus sensitivity of 30 micron/degree (at theoretical f/1.0), which would imply a helicoid pitch of 30 microns/degree x 360 degrees = 10.8mm

Long story short;

- For helicoid-focusing lenses it would be good to have lenses with their helicoid pitch quoted; the other calculations follow easily to tell whether it will be easy to focus, or difficult Wink
- For IF/AF lenses it would be good to have the focus sensitivity quoted as change in circle of confusion in microns/degree turn of focus ring at either maximum f/# stop or at theoretical f/1.0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as distance is specified, "rate of change of the diameter of the circle of confusion per degree turn at wide-open aperture".

Reminds me of DOF being wholly aperture and magnification -- focal length and distance determine magnification, of course.

The four factors. Photography seems full of those. ISO, shutter speed, aperture, light intensity.

Indeed, gravity-mass-electro-magnetism; the four DNA chemical bases. The ancients were definitely onto something with air-fire-water-earth. Pairing seems to be a theme as well. Then there is 5-element theory for the addition of metal describing the promotion and inhibiting functions. Anybody up for 6 or more elements? DNA has 6 components. & etc.. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer not to get caught up in all the complexity. For me, focus throw just means stop to stop. Now, because some are mentioning that the sensitivity extends at closer distances, I just picked up an old Sigma 600mm I happen to have sitting next to me on my desk. This is an early Sigma 600mm, with a focus throw of about 270 degrees. Later Sigmas have a focus throw closer to 360 degrees. After examining the distance scale as it appears along the throw, I pulled out a Tamron 500mm mirror, which has almost a 360-degree focus throw. Examined the distance scale on it along the throw, and guess what I found? They were essentially identical. The scale appears to be logarithmic. At infinity, the distance markings are close together, each one indicating a substantial distance between each other. As I rotate the lens, I see the distance markings grow farther apart while the distances between each marking grow closer together. Finally, at the end of the throw, the differences are in fractions of a meter (or foot) for a fairly substantial amount of remaining throw. I suspect that if I were to chart the values, with distance being the Y axis and % of focus throw being the X axis, where the X axis values would be plotted from Infinity to MFD, I'd find essentially the same charts with both lenses, and the chart would have a strong logarithmic look to them. That is, the curve would be slightly descending with a very slight downward curve but the curve would become sharper and down-turning much quicker as MFD is reached. However, I also suspect that if the X axis were plotted logarithmically, the curve would be linear.

So what this indicates to me is this is just a normal way the lens focuses and that there is no built-in bias toward close-up subjects.

Last edited by cooltouch on Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just say "focus throw" for stop to stop, and "focus sensitivity" for measuring by degrees?

They're two different things; they deserve different names.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
Why not just say "focus throw" for stop to stop, and "focus sensitivity" for measuring by degrees?

Yes, agreed; I would be happy with that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I prefer not to get caught up in all the complexity. For me, focus throw just means stop to stop. Now, because some are mentioning that the sensitivity extends at closer distances, I just picked up an old Sigma 600mm I happen to have sitting next to me on my desk. This is an early Sigma 600mm, with a focus throw of about 270 degrees. Later Sigmas have a focus throw closer to 360 degrees. After examining the distance scale as it appears along the throw, I pulled out a Tamron 500mm mirror, which has almost a 360-degree focus throw. Examined the distance scale on it along the throw, and guess what I found? They were essentially identical. The scale appears to be logarithmic. At infinity, the distance markings are close together, each one indicating a substantial distance between each other. As I rotate the lens, I see the distance markings grow farther apart while the distances between each marking grow closer together. Finally, at the end of the throw, the differences are in fractions of a meter (or foot) for a fairly substantial amount of remaining throw. I suspect that if I were to chart the values, with distance being the Y axis and % of focus throw being the X axis, where the X axis values would be plotted from Infinity to MFG, I'd find essentially the same charts with both lenses, and the chart would have a strong logarithmic look to them. That is, the curve would be slightly descending with a very slight downward curve but the curve would become sharper and down-turning much quicker as MFD is reached. However, I also suspect that if the X axis were plotted logarithmically, the curve would be linear.

So what this indicates to me is this is just a normal way the lens focuses and that there is no built-in bias toward close-up subjects.

That's the same with pretty much all lenses; it simply follows from the mathematics involved using the thin lens equation and the linear displacement of the lens (helicoid) when focusing. The thin lens equation is a bit too simple to apply to complex multi-element lenses, but it gives a broad confirmation that those distance markings will indeed look a bit logarithmic.

At short focus distances things get a little more complicated as the usual distance markings on the lens do not indicate the object distance to the second principal plane of the lens, but rather the object distance to the film plane. For short focus distances this difference becomes important, esp. in macro work. I think they did that because lenses need to be easier to use for photographers than mathematicians; the distance to the film plane is easier to measure than the distance to a virtual second principal plane of the lens Wink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
KEO wrote:

Yes, agreed; I would be happy with that.

Me too, when "focus sensitivity" is accompanied by subject distance.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:
Interestingly, it should be possible with electronic focusing to make the focus change slower nearing infinity per amount of rotation, or conversely faster as you get closer, which might make focusing more precise at a distance and quick close up, but since everyone is so used to linear focusing, it would take some getting used to...

That's nothing new - indeed, Canon was pretty proud to have it introduced with the FD 4,5/400mm lens in the mid-1970s. Probably quite a few Canon IF / RF tele lenses have the same mechanism (e. g. the nFD 4/200mm or the nFD 4/200mm Macro).

It was less common for normal lenses; the only ones I'm aware of were the Topcor RE GN 1.8/50mm and RE GN 1.4/50mm. The latter was introduced in 1973.

S