Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mir-1W: Playground Tryptich
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Mir-1W: Playground Tryptich Reply with quote

Spring is coming, but until now it's too dark to take some pictures after work. Time to have a look over some forgotten parts of the digital gallery of last year.

Airport Krefeld-Egelsberg. A small airfield for gliders and a few sporting airplanes, only a few kilometres away from home. Favourite playground for my kids because of the old tractors.

Mir-1W (or Mir-1sh)
I love this lens. Small but excellent color rendering and razor sharp. I think these pictures are good examples.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES, colour rendering is excellent. Thanks for sharing ! Do you have experience with Mir 20mm? I saw it today in local camera shop around 100 EUR.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
YES, colour rendering is excellent. Thanks for sharing ! Do you have experience with Mir 20mm? I saw it today in local camera shop around 100 EUR.

What Mir 20mm?
There are two of them. The Mir-20M 3.5/20 and the Mir-47 (M K or N depending on the mount) 2.5/20.
100 Eur are a good price for the Mir-47, and not-so-good fro the Mir-20
I have the Mir-20, it has great color, great sharpness, and reasonable geometric distortion, but it has a big problem (at least, my copy has): it flares a lot in the lower corners. And an additional hood does not help, because there is no "room" for it: the lens either flares, or you see the hood.
This makes it unuseable for full frame.
On crop cameras, instead, you don't see the corner flare, and the lens works great and it's lovely.
Therefore I can recommend the Mir-20, but only to those who exclusively plan to use it on crop cameras as a 32mm.

I don't have the Mir-47 so I can not talk about it. The fact that it's one stop faster makes it surely desireable, but with wide angles, you may never know: you may pay for the extra stop, with added flare, coma, and distortion, just like it happens with the Flektogons.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Mir-1W: Playground Tryptich Reply with quote

Borges wrote:

Airport Krefeld-Egelsberg. A small airfield for gliders and a few sporting airplanes, only a few kilometres away from home. Favourite playground for my kids because of the old tractors.
Mir-1W (or Mir-1sh)
I love this lens. Small but excellent color rendering and razor sharp.

Love the old tractors, Michael, and the colors.
What lens the Mir-1W is? I never heard of it. Is it a variation on the Mir-1B? Different mount, or..?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Mir-1W: Playground Tryptich Reply with quote

Borges wrote:

... I think these pictures are good examples.

They definitely are!

Borges wrote:

Spring is coming...

A very good English friend of mine once told me a poem:

Spring has sprung,
grass has ris'
I wonder where
the birdies is.

Do not hold me responsible for the language, ok?
He is just one of those crazy Englishmen, you have to like them... Wink Very Happy

Carsten

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Attila wrote:

What Mir 20mm?
There are two of them. The Mir-20M 3.5/20 and the Mir-47 (M K or N depending on the mount) 2.5/20.
100 Eur are a good price for the Mir-47, and not-so-good fro the Mir-20
I have the Mir-20, it has great color, great sharpness, and reasonable geometric distortion, but it has a big problem (at least, my copy has): it flares a lot in the lower corners. And an additional hood does not help, because there is no "room" for it: the lens either flares, or you see the hood.
This makes it unuseable for full frame.
On crop cameras, instead, you don't see the corner flare, and the lens works great and it's lovely.
Therefore I can recommend the Mir-20, but only to those who exclusively plan to use it on crop cameras as a 32mm.

I don't have the Mir-47 so I can not talk about it. The fact that it's one stop faster makes it surely desireable, but with wide angles, you may never know: you may pay for the extra stop, with added flare, coma, and distortion, just like it happens with the Flektogons.

Mir-20M 3.5/20 , thanks for improve my knowledge!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Mir-20M 3.5/20 , thanks for improve my knowledge!

I have some photos I took with it, I will post them later or tomorrow.
100 Euros are a bit steep for the lens, you must be very sure of what you want to do with it. If you plan to use it only with a crop camera, then it can be a very good buy, because sharpness and saturation are top notch.
If you plan to use it with full frame also, I'd say forget about it.
You have to see if you want to spend 100 Euros for a lens that you can use only on crop cameras. If yes, then it can be a good buy, because the lens has character and the glass is of quality.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I look forward your pictures taken with Mir 20mm f/3.5 lens.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Mir-1W: Playground Tryptich Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments, boys!
... and Carsten for the poem Wink It's o.k. ... That's why my website is in german only.

Orio wrote:

What lens the Mir-1W is? I never heard of it. Is it a variation on the Mir-1B? Different mount, or..?

It's mechanical the same as the last version of Mir-1B. Online translation of zenit.istra.ru says that Ш means: this lens was produced for school photo circles of the former USSR. I am not sure if this is the result of a crappy translation. Perhaps the "W" or translated "sh - school" has another meaning, perhaps the factory.
It's this one:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Mir-1W: Playground Tryptich Reply with quote

Borges wrote:

It's mechanical the same as the last version of Mir-1B. Online translation of zenit.istra.ru says that Ш means: this lens was produced for school photo circles of the former USSR. I am not sure if this is the result of a crappy translation. Perhaps the "W" or translated "sh - school" has another meaning, perhaps the factory.

Thank Michael. It surely looks much like the 1B.
I have no clue about the W either, but I really think to have understood about the B. Usually all USSR lenses use a last letter to indicate the mount, and the coding is the same for all USSR factories. So:
M = M42
A = M39
N = Nikon bayonet
K = Pentax bayonet

I think that B was an exception they made to honor the Bruxelles Prize the lens won.