Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Are there any good 28-200 lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Are there any good 28-200 lenses? Reply with quote

I have never used a 28-200 zoom lens. Were they all really bad, or were there any really good ones?

I ask as I am interested to have a lens that will do most things for the times I do not want to carry a bag of lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have experience with 28-210mm Kiron only, it is great performer on Nikon DSLR and disappointment on OLympus E-1.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/kiron/kiron_28_210mm_f3_8/

Pictures taken with Nikon D50.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There really are good ones. The Kobori-made Vivitar 28-200 is such a lens, and you can read everything about it here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&thread=27092473&page=1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is encouraging Very Happy

Has anyone heard of a 28-200 made by Vitacon, f4-5.6? There is one on ebay in PKA mount that I might try to win if it is likely to be ok.

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like maybe I should wait for Vivitar or Kiron Wink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Tamron Adaptall 28-200, I paid it 30 EUR, thinking it could save me from taking some prime lenses, and I sold it because I always take my primes Laughing I found it rather good at medium focals, but soft at 200mm.
A so big range is always a mix of compromises, so you can't have a zoom of this range as best as a prime lens Rolling Eyes
I heard that a zoom lens is generally good at his medium range, and bad at extrems, all the zoom lenses I had ckecked this rule Wink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:

I heard that a zoom lens is generally good at his medium range, and bad at extrems, all the zoom lenses I had ckecked this rule Wink

I heard this too, and as a paradox, I heard that the zooms are used at the extrems. Meaning that according to this, we used zooms in the ranks with worse yields Shocked

Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
I had a Tamron Adaptall 28-200, I paid it 30 EUR, thinking it could save me from taking some prime lenses, and I sold it because I always take my primes Laughing I found it rather good at medium focals, but soft at 200mm.
A so big range is always a mix of compromises, so you can't have a zoom of this range as best as a prime lens Rolling Eyes

There's something decidedly odd about Tamron 28-200mm lenses.

I noticed it when comparing one to a fixed 200mm lens, then a number of other 200mm primes and zooms....

By my estimation, the Tamron 28-200mm lenses are only REALLY 28-160mm !!!!!
I've checked with a number of them, and it appears to be the case!!!!!!