Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon 2.8/28 AIS - Problems ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Nikon 2.8/28 AIS - Problems ? Reply with quote

I've just received a copy of this lens. Clearly it has been used heavily used - but "not abused" as the ebay saying goes. Unfortunately there apears to be a problem - a loose front element. I am relucant to return it since it was (relatively) cheap. On the other hand my experience in servicing lenses is limited to Russians, and the CZJ pair - Sonnar/Flektogon, and I know that the Nikon is rather more complex (8/8 with CRC). Does anyone have any experience of servicing this lens - with particular reference to the problem of the loose element ?

Last edited by sichko on Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a lens spanner wrench to tighten the front element retaining ring?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott. An improvised one - but yes. The problem is that I don't know how to get at it. Does the front name ring unscrew to reveal it ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming it unscrews to reveal the retaining ring or else it may have screws holding it in that might have come loose...Here's a link to how someone else took off the serial # ring...

http://bowdacious-b.blogspot.com/2009/01/disassembling-nikon-lens-series-e-50mm.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. The double sided sticky foam/tape is an essential part of my toolobox. Unfortunately the construction of the 2.8/28 appears to differ from that of the E series (I have examples to compare). I think that I need to do a little more research before doing anything rash.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Oleson's site shows basically the same type of front element removal for all MF Nikon lenses...Here's the link

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-102.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this link. I couldn't remove the name ring - but perhaps I didn't try hard enough. I did find a site where some-one had experienced a similar problem with a 24mm which aslo has CRC. During focusing the front element rotates and moves axially relative to the main focusing barrel. Apparently the front element can become loose during this movement - and all you have to do is to screw it back. It seems to have worked for the 28mm.