Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Filling the gap
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:08 am    Post subject: Filling the gap Reply with quote

So, I was wondering...

What would you recommend I look for, to fill the gap between my 18-55 kit lens and the 70mm & 75mm zooms I have? I was watching an eBay sale for an EOS 35mm camera with something like a 30-80mm USM lens, but it was bid past my budget. I suspect people were bidding for the lens, rather than the camera. Wink

Are there any good quality lenses for such a relatively short range and length?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a 35-70 of some sort?

you don't say if you want a manual focus one, or a dedicated one for your camera.

canon used to have a 35-70/3.5-4.5 which is ancient, but rated well enough for an AF lens (that is non-L).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 17-85 IS USM is not bad and might fill the gap.

I have one for sale since I don't use my AF lenses anymore.
7 months old (17 months warranty left), hardly used, with lens hood 73B.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For MF one of the best options is the Tamron SP 28-80mm or SP 35-80mm
I use my own almost as standard lenses and on crop DSLR they are ideal portrait lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have same opinion than Rob have it, plus I have same very good experience with Olympus OM 35-70mm lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Filling the gap Reply with quote

SkedAddled wrote:
So, I was wondering...

What would you recommend I look for, to fill the gap between my 18-55 kit lens and the 70mm & 75mm zooms I have? I was watching an eBay sale for an EOS 35mm camera with something like a 30-80mm USM lens

30-80usm, i don't recall it, but i think it's crap.

Best would be a Tamron 28-75, not expensive, but excellent quality!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, sorry! Yes, I forgot to specify: something in a MF variant.

Of the lenses suggested here so far, they seem either scarce or expensive, and several are AF and plastic.

I would prefer something in M42 mount.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkedAddled wrote:
Oh, sorry! Yes, I forgot to specify: something in a MF variant.

Of the lenses suggested here so far, they seem either scarce or expensive, and several are AF and plastic.

I would prefer something in M42 mount.

why only consider M42 when you have a Canon?
i know that nikon 35-70 MF can be get for very cheap.

i do not have any MF zoom lenses, only primes. By the way, another recommendation is although AF, Tokina 28-70 AT-X PRO, is lens is said to be based on an Angenieux design and build as a rock! and it can be get for about usd150!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contax Vario-Sonnar! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokina 28-70 AT-X Pro f2.6 ~ 2.8

Built like a TANK or should i say ... built like a MF lens!

Pics are from http://photozone.de/canon-eos/276-tokina-af-28-70mm-f28-26-at-x-pro-ii-lab-test-report--review