Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica ML 28mm f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Yashica ML 28mm f2.8 Reply with quote

I am liking the ML lenses more and more here is an Atilla-esque shot, To add weight to the contax lens design theory I find the green saturation and contrast very similar to the contax 50mm f1.4

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like better east German lenses, this shoot is too neutral to me like modern AF lens shoot.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you explain neutral? I would describe it as very contrasty and saturated (yes maybe like a Japanese lens would be) but certainly not neutral could you show me an east german image to compare and discuss the differences?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know this is good examples or not, background is smooth and I like colors lot better.

Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50mm f1.8 MC

Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50mm f1.8 zebra

Both taken with Orestegor 200mm f4

Steinheil Culminar 135mm f2.8

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Atilla I hope you dont mind if I pu these two together to compare, similar subject but very different lens, your 180mm 2.8 sonnar zeiss

Reds I find are very similarly saturated, but interestingly look at the out of focus hightlights, very similar? the contrast on the yashica is more due to lighting.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem at all, different lens has different result, this is the wonderful in old cheap mf lenses we can afford to buy many of them. I bought a Yashica ML 28 mm lens too Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh good I cant wait to see some shots, do you want shots from me for your site? I will start a thread with my lens list, tell me if there is anything you want pictures from

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please let me know your lens list and I pickup what I don't have it. Many thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica 28/2.8 ML is a good lens, with good bokeh in Zeiss Distagon style, only soft at 2.8 and 3.5. I have 2 copy, one is more sharp of another at full aperture, warm tonalities, a bit soft at corner but over 5.6 is sharp and contrast center and borders.

Last edited by sasipa on Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine wasn't soft at wide open at all. Sharp, quality lens at all aperture.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also need to consider the cam (if digital) with or the film on which a picture was taken, if we talk about colours, and the parameters that were used. This is not only the lens, it mainly is the way it works with a certain DSLR or film.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For digital body, Yashica 28/2.8 ML have problem with many economy ring adapter C/Y.

I modify one ring with abrasive paper and measure every 15s of work the thickness.

Over many tests result that at 1.32mm thickness they are best result, also at f2.8, with chinese ring of 1.44mm or 1.50mm image result very soft at center and corners.

Also the Zeiss Planar 1.4 have strongly decrease of performances with adapter on Canon Eos over 1.35mm and infinity focus at 1.4 is a lot SOFT! After modify at 1.4 i have in infinity focus the sharpness like before at 2.8! Incredible!

For this modify there is need of the centesimal bore and abrasive paper much thin.

If they are interested to us I can mail photo at full aperture with Yashica 28/2.8 and Zeiss 50/1.4.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can upload those images to imagshack.us and include here as a thumbnail and every body able to see it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
You can upload those images to imagshack.us and include here as a thumbnail and every body able to see it.

Ok Attila