Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MC Rubinar 300/4.5 test
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: MC Rubinar 300/4.5 test Reply with quote

I, er, accidently purchased this one recently from a dealer at the same time as my Zeiss 35-70/3.4, as I'd heard it's a nice sharp mirror. To my surprise, it mounts the 5D with no extension tube required to clear the flash...as the 5D doesn't have a flash Surprised

It's rather big compared to my other 300mm mirror Surprised :

It almost dwarfs the 5D with its hood on:

Some quick snaps on the way to find my car (I'd left it at a mates before a rather heavy night out Confused Laughing ). I forgot to take the hood (doh!) and all shots were handheld between ISO 250 and ISO 800.

No crop as I missed the focus on his eye Embarassed

100% crop

100% crop

100% crop

100% crop

Well it was never going to be as sharp as a proper telephoto, but it's much easier to use handheld, and looks far less suspicious for street shooting! It's quite heavy on the 5D but definately managable. I will test the macro properly on a tripod at some point, and will update the results. What really surprised me is the "pop" that is evident in some shots Smile

Overall, very pleased Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a very capable lens , perfect for "paparazzos" Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bokeh on #4 is what puts me off mirror lenses. The other images are really good.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very sharp for a mirror lens. About as sharp as Tokina 500/8, yet the Rubinar is obviously over a stop faster.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wish i could hold like that. looks a good one ...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More shots here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1044548.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: This is why mirror lenses will always sell! Reply with quote

Very impressive ability to hold the lens steady!

I usually use a shoulder stock and try to brace, but then my street profile gets raised somewhat .....

Missed the eye focus eh? I am not surprised! My 500s are all F8 and I miss a few too.

Nice sharp apparently contrasty lens! Expensive tho!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: France Reply with quote

Great photos also!

You caught the girl in the air! Was she running away from you? Wink
Olympic walking event: she is said to be running if she fails to have a foot on the ground all the time.

Mirror lenses are meant to have no CA at all, yet another reason to like and use them. I have a few 300mm lenses and want to use them on my ep1. I will post if I ever get to do that!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: France Reply with quote

pat donnelly wrote:
Great photos also!

You caught the girl in the air! Was she running away from you? Wink
Olympic walking event: she is said to be running if she fails to have a foot on the ground all the time.

Mirror lenses are meant to have no CA at all, yet another reason to like and use them. I have a few 300mm lenses and want to use them on my ep1. I will post if I ever get to do that!

Thanks for the comments Pat Smile She was certainly in a hurry, but then when your wielding a camera with a lens this size I think most people would run Laughing

On the 5D this remains an effective 300mm lens, so it is very easy to hand hold. I will test it against my Chinon 300/5.6 soon as that lens is much smaller and lighter to hold, but with a slower maximum aperture. I'd be interested to see whether I could use the same shutter speeds andretain sharp photos...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The comparison would be an excellent one, as my 300s are inferior I suspect, but "good value".

I will try to take some when I can.

My money is on the larger, Russian lens!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's quite sharp! It captures a lots of details but that highlights bokeh is just too distracting in my opinion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N wrote:
it's quite sharp! It captures a lots of details but that highlights bokeh is just too distracting in my opinion

Same here... I find the sharpness to be extraordinary considering the focal lengths they come in. And I've always wondered why someone(company) had not put some R&D into producing a donut free bokeh version of these lenses(surely someone could do something). If anything... a PP plugin or equivalent that could remove it?

Other than that, the IQ is amazingly good imo.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that bokeh with donuts sometimes ruines the picture.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulko wrote:

On the other hand, sometimes they can look nice - this with a Soviet made 500/8:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anu wrote:
vulko wrote:

On the other hand, sometimes they can look nice - this with a Soviet made 500/8:

HAHA!
Indeed...
Very nice effect in this way.