Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

85-205mm F3.8 Auto Panagor?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: 85-205mm F3.8 Auto Panagor? Reply with quote

seller offered me this lens in m42 ihave not seen it yet but he says it is a very special lens used in the movie industry ,can this be true?
Anybody with some experience with this lens
Daniel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are very many 85-205/3.8 zooms out there. Luis (luisalegria) probably can tell more, but I doubt it's highly valuable as a movie lens...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rusty,

Sounds like the extremely common (and very cheap) Kiron-made 85-205/3.8 two-touch zoom. This was sold under maybe 100 names (I'm not joking!) and every mount. Nice lens.

Panagor was a common merchants brand. Thats not rare either.

Worth less than $20.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Luis, will maybe give it a try if it comes very cheap !

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panagor was the European market name for Kino Precision (aka Kiron) in the late 70's ,early 80's. Kino made a number of the very well made & well regarded Vivitar Series One lenses which competed with the OEM lenses at the time. When Kino went out of business, someone else bought the name & marketed lesser quality lenses under it...Nothing special about this particular lens though. As was stated in a previous post, they were marketed under a variety of names & are an inexpensive but nice lens optically. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for it either...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably trying to make a tenuous connection to PanaVision, the movie camera and optics company. No connection.