Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tele-Westanar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Tele-Westanar Reply with quote

I juts won a bid for a lens and I haven't got a clue if it's good or not (I was the only bidder).
It's a Tele-Westanar Isco Göttingen 1:3,5/135 and I paid 15$.
I thought that with a German lens I couldn't go totally wrong. Anyone who has experience of this lens?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/isco_gottingen/tele_westanar_135mm/

Great lens , 15 USD a steal for this quality! Congrats! Rare , excellent lens.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Now I just hope that I get it and that it is in reasonably working order.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro built lens, I am pretty sure it will don't have any mechanical problem.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes , very serious construction, like Schneider , I have it , with "springblende" diaphragm, like old alu czj tessars. Results at the level of tele-xenar, steinheil tele-quinon. A dream at this price .... Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

still22 post these lenses once in a while. I never seen them sell so cheap. seems like you git yourself a NICE deal. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one on sale if anybody interested.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paguru wrote:
Have a look at some more samples with this lens. Some are mine, I like the Westanar a lot. A bit difficult to use, since the aperture ring is in front of the focus ring, you will see. These lenses usually go below their real value imo.
Please post some pics from your new Westanar!

I haven't received it yet. There hasn't been so many working days since I bought it so there is hopefully no cause for alarm.

I have also treated myself to a Christmas present in the form of a MC Flektogon 2.4/35 which I found on the Swedish Ebay. Unlike the Westanar this one didn't come cheap. The plan is to take it out for test run this afternoon, so maybe I could at least post some test shots from the Flek this evening.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally received this lens.
The preliminary impression is mostly positive:
- Seems to be well built
- Compact for a 135 mm
- Good condition optically and mechanically
- Interesting pre-set function
- Rather stiff focusing ring and a long way to turn.
- Close-up limit 2.5 m
- Some CA on high contrast objects

I'm at home with a cold today so I can only present boring test shots from a window. Hope to be able to test it more thoroughly soon. The shot is at f 5.6 and focus on the close building (no sharpening in PS).

100% crop

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really nice to me!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to have both sharpness and contrast. Not bad wide open either.
I haven't been able to check the out of focus rendition yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like it's well worth the 15.00 USD paid for this lens. Very Happy

When the price is right I always jump on it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a number of lenses to put to the test, but the weather is miserable (cloudy and even rain).
There was a little glimpse of sunshine yesterday which allowed me to take the photo below with the Tele-Westanar.
Perhaps not so much for sharpness evaluation but maybe for flare and colour rendition.
The main problem I have with this lens is that the focus ring gets so stiff in cold weather that the M42 sometimes start to unscrew when I turn it. Dont know if it could be cleaned to make it better.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this one is very nice!! The light is just amazing Shocked