Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-37
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Jupiter-37 Reply with quote

Whats the difference between a Jupiter-37 and a Jupiter-37A?

Are they any better than my Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 3.5/135? I know this is a subjective question.

For the price of a mint copy I'm very tempted to try a mint Jupiter-37A unless a person is better served with the Jupiter-37.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps nothing.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/russian_lens/jupiter/jupiter-37A_135mm/

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/takumar/smc_takumar_135mm_f3_5/

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M stands for "modern" and based on what I read, it means no optical difference.

Here's the four versions of the Jupiter-37 that I know (and own)

- Jupiter-37A
- Jupiter-37AM
are single coating

- MC Jupiter-37A
- MC Jupiter-37AM
are multi-coating

I never noticed any particular difference in the results, the single-coating lenses seem to do more or less the same as the MC lenses.

Is it better than the Takumar?
I own both, and the differences are subtle. However, I prefer the Jupiter.
There is also to be said that I prefer the Jupiter over it's "father", the CZJ Sonnar 3.5/135

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila and Orio. I appreciate it.

Quote:
There is also to be said that I prefer the Jupiter over it's "father", the CZJ Sonnar 3.5/135

That surprises me Orio. As cheap as they are I think I need to give it a try.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Jupiter-37, CZJ 135/3.5, a Super-Takumar, and an SMC-M.

The Jupiter has the nicest "signature" (I don't have the Tair or the Pentacon) but... the Super-Takumar is the nicest to USE because it has superb mechanicals.

The Jupiter is the worst of the lot, there's quite a bit of slop in the focusing mechanism (if you reverse rotation of the focus ring, there's a few mm of movement where the barrel rotates but doesn't change the focus).

I don't have any (Contax, or West German) Zeiss, and I only got to play with a Leica Elmarit for a while, but in my experience the Super-Takumars and S-M-C Takumars have the best mechanicals and to my feel, a better tactile response than the Elmarit I tried. It was a "modern" Elmarit though.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A" stands for "Adaptor", the T2-like intercangeable mount on the back of the lens. Most of J37 lenses are sold with an M42 mount attached, but it is easy to modify a standard T2-mount adaptor to fit J37 by removing the inner part and screwing on the outer one.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I'll know soon, I going to get one.