Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

eBay on thin ice again
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: eBay on thin ice again Reply with quote

tries to stop anything but e-payments, this time in the US

http://tinyurl.com/3f76aw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a seller, eBay already takes 10% of the final bid sum through PayPal fees and lousy currency conversion rates. Add to that the cost of transfering money from PayPal account to bank account! Greedy b*stards.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Customers and sellers will walk to the competition - yahoo auctions still function in the US, do they not? Yahoo packed up in Europe some years ago, which was a damned shame as I was going ok with them in preference to ebay at the time.
I wish yahoo would set back up in Europe, as ebid is dreadful, but it might come up with ex-ebay users.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they trialed this in australia first... its a pain i tells ya. makes it harder to get real bargains!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the responses in the article linked above said this:

The U.S. Constitution and Federal Law REQUIRES that any currency minted/printed by the U.S. Government MUST be accepted as payment for any debts incurred in the U.S. Arguably this includes U.S. Postal Money Orders since they are monetary certificates printed by the U.S. Government.

Other payments are allowed (checks, debit and credit cards, etc.) BUT you can never legally refuse to accept currency minted/printed by the U.S. Government.

Im pretty damn sure he s right. I don't see how this could work, legally. it wont last too long. they will have lawsuits on their hands.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, I've noticed more & more places/people at eBay ONLY accept PayPal. .Mad. That sucks, since I don't have PayPal, I miss out on bidding on some things that I want.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay is the only show in town, it's reach is global and it works. It works because it places restrictions on people's freedoms. It's the price we pay... and we do pay.
They, like all of us, work on percentages, so when the numbers change so will they. Right now it's the only way to sell a lens or camera to a global market so 10% doesn't seem so bad.
If only there were another place to sell... Anyone want to set one up?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Yahoo auctions still function in the US, do they not?

No, they do not. They've been gone for over a year.

From their site(auctions.yahoo.com):
"Yahoo! US Auction sites are retired!
Read more details here
As of June 3, 2007 listings are no longer accepted| As of June 16, 2007 bid/buy are no longer accepted"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a buyer, I have no complaints.

But if I should ever sell, I think I'd rather go with Craigslist
or other free local services. I'm not about to setup some sort
of merchant seller's account just to sell an item or two, and
I don't care for a site to hack into my sale.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as for photo gear we have these marketplaces in our forums....

perhaps not working world wide but ....
I prefer it this way - since this paypal-thing started on ebay.

(I've had many troubles with paypal even before ebay bought them)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read one of the memos at the eBay web-site, and it looks like as of October of 2009, eBay sellers will no-longer be able to accept Money Orders (or checks) for purchases. It looks like that's the end of my eBaying...Sad.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You couldn't even offer here in europe with the option for sending it to the USA without accepting paypal as a possible payment!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... Paypal is requiring us to exchange all foreign currency to Hongkong dollars (i am located in HK), and is eating another 2% in this process ...

However, there is just no alternative Sad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that Paypal will become a MUST in early 2009 for eBay.ie (Ireland) users - they really do have us by the goolies no matter which way we turn...