Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Anyone know Super-Lentar 28mm f/2.8 (m42)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Anyone know Super-Lentar 28mm f/2.8 (m42) Reply with quote

I have recently acquired a cute looking M42 lens with a brand or manufacturer that I have not heard of. It is Super-Lentar 28mm f/2.8 (m42). Do any forum members run into this brand or manufacturer before. It is made in Japan and it has a nob that switch between A and M for the aperture.

I like its unique look with silver and black color. Filter size is 58mm and all are in metal construction. IQ is decent when I use it. On noted caveat is the non-circular opening with big spikes in f/5.6 and some middle apertures.

The well designed nob in switching between A and M. I prefer this nob over other manual focus lens as it is easy to get to without my eye leaving the viewfinder.

Here is a test picture in hiking with my 2 boys and sweetie last Sunday

I sum up my positive impressions on this lens with noted caveat of non-circular blades in f/5.6 aperture. The spikes create spiky shadow in sunlight shots.

Initial impressions & notes

http://techtheman.blogspot.com/2009/01/super-lentar-28mm-f28-m42.html

Anyone see this lens before or know anything about Super-Lentar?

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hintheman on Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lentar was a photo equipment distributor based in the U.S. and bought out by G.A.F. in the 70s. It probably went away when G.A.F. got out of the photo business. Your 28/2.8 has shown up wearing many brands. Mamiya/Sekor, Rikenon, Sears, Focal(K-Mart), Soligor, Vivitar, Bushnell and others. If you search diligently you may even find it badged with its manufacturers name, Tokina.

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill !

Yes, it looks like my Sears and Soligor T4 28/2.8's, Tokinas.

But it has a more interesting finish/cosmetics I think. Nice piece. Lentar chose all the "optional extras" when they ordered this from Tokina.

Hi Hin,

And really nice sunset ! Well done. What was your PP ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
Lentar was a photo equipment distributor based in the U.S. and bought out by G.A.F. in the 70s. It probably went away when G.A.F. got out of the photo business. Your 28/2.8 has shown up wearing many brands. Mamiya/Sekor, Rikenon, Sears, Focal(K-Mart), Soligor, Vivitar, Bushnell and others. If you search diligently you may even find it badged with its manufacturers name, Tokina.

Bill

Thank you for the information. Tokina! I love tokina lens. Even some of the cheap gear in Tokina K mount serve me tremendously well. I used to have a $100 Tokina 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 and in my experience, that lens rival those in the $300 dollar range.

I have not heard of G.A.F and I don't quite know G.A.F in the 70s.

Thanks,
Hin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Hi Bill !

Yes, it looks like my Sears and Soligor T4 28/2.8's, Tokinas.

But it has a more interesting finish/cosmetics I think. Nice piece. Lentar chose all the "optional extras" when they ordered this from Tokina.

Hi Hin,

And really nice sunset ! Well done. What was your PP ?

Thank you so much for the inputs. Cosmetically, added nob for A <--> M switch along with its distinctive silver and black color make the lens more interesting. I bargain it down from $30.00. In my view, it is as good as any other $50 variations of M42 lens in 28mm with f/2.8 aperture.

The only noted caveat is on the spiky circular opening in apertures such as f/5.6, f/6.0. I call this a design flaw that glows as something unique to the lens. Call me an imperfect perfectionist as the lens has spiky shadows that you can't find in a $1000 28mm lens, hence the more valuable in the design flaws

Spiky circular blades opening in f/5.6

A spiky shadow as a result

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hintheman on Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember GAF cameras (in M42). It's seem to me that had a chinon's normal lenses. If I don't wrong, Ansco and/or Gevaert were there.

Solid machine. Good camera reputation. Important sponsor at PP of 70's.

Rino.