Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon Auto 200/4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Pentacon Auto 200/4 Reply with quote

I've just won a 200/4 pentacon auto (M42) but can't seem to find any info on it!! All threads round these parts seem to relate to the older pre-set version (the non-auto one).

Have I bought a duffer? I have the 135/2.8 electric version and it's my favourite lens, so if it's even half as good I'm sure I'll be satisfied Wink

Is this another six blader? Any info would be most welcome, as I don't expect it will arrive for a few days and I'm all excited Laughing

Many thanks in advance!

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend use this lens for short-tele. He like it very much and usually use in any circumstance.

I have only Takumar 100mm f4 macro and like it especially in color and sharpness. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/pentacon/pentacon_200mm/
this is older pre-set yours seems newer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentacon Auto 200/4 Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
I've just won a 200/4 pentacon auto (M42) but can't seem to find any info on it!! All threads round these parts seem to relate to the older pre-set version (the non-auto one).

Have I bought a duffer? I have the 135/2.8 electric version and it's my favourite lens, so if it's even half as good I'm sure I'll be satisfied Wink

Is this another six blader? Any info would be most welcome, as I don't expect it will arrive for a few days and I'm all excited Laughing

Many thanks in advance!

It's bigger brother of Your 6-blade Pentacon Electric 135/2.8 lens.
Preset aperture Orestegor/Pentacon 200/4 shares the same optical design with later Pentacon Auto, and with such better known lenses as Soviet Telear-M 200/3.5, Japanese Super and SMC Takumar 200/4 and many other Japanese lenses - all are are based on the same construction.
Pentacon Auto optical formula is a bit tweaked, so the chromatic aberration intensity at f4 is vastly reduced comparing to "preset" version (strong CA at full opening is the main drawback of the preset version) - it can compete with Super Takumar 200/4.
Pentacon Auto is multicoated, and in term of sharpness and contrast IMHO is as good or better than Super Takumar 200/4. At f4 it shows noticeably more CA than Super Tak 200/4, but seems to be a bit sharper (at least my copies gave such results).
The main drawback of Pentacon Auto 200/4 is minimum focusing distance - about 2,7m comparing to i.e. 2,5 (Super Takumar 200/4), 2,2m (Pentacon 200/4 Preset), 1,8m (Jupiter-21M 200/4) or 1,6m in case of Telear 200/3.5.
If You can live with this, Your lens is a keeper. It's really good and reliable tool.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentacon Auto 200/4 Reply with quote

wariag wrote:
Shrek wrote:

Many thanks in advance!

It's bigger brother of Your 6-blade Pentacon Electric 135/2.8 lens.
Preset aperture Orestegor/Pentacon 200/4 shares the same optical design with later Pentacon Auto, and with such better known lenses as Soviet Telear-M 200/3.5, Japanese Super and SMC Takumar 200/4 and many other Japanese lenses - all are are based on the same construction.
Pentacon Auto optical formula is a bit tweaked, so the chromatic aberration intensity at f4 is vastly reduced comparing to "preset" version (strong CA at full opening is the main drawback of the preset version) - it can compete with Super Takumar 200/4.
Pentacon Auto is multicoated, and in term of sharpness and contrast IMHO is as good or better than Super Takumar 200/4. At f4 it shows noticeably more CA than Super Tak 200/4, but seems to be a bit sharper (at least my copies gave such results).
The main drawback of Pentacon Auto 200/4 is minimum focusing distance - about 2,7m comparing to i.e. 2,5 (Super Takumar 200/4), 2,2m (Pentacon 200/4 Preset), 1,8m (Jupiter-21M 200/4) or 1,6m in case of Telear 200/3.5.
If You can live with this, Your lens is a keeper. It's really good and reliable tool.

Wow, that's some serious background info!! Can't wait to try it out now, was a bit worried by the CA issue with the preset one, but it sounds like my Auto should have this a little more under control Smile

Thanks everyone for the info Cool

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentacon Auto 200/4 Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:

Wow, that's some serious background info!! Can't wait to try it out now, was a bit worried by the CA issue with the preset one, but it sounds like my Auto should have this a little more under control Smile

Thanks everyone for the info Cool

Despite of strong CA at f4 I like 200/4 preset version very much.
At f6.7 CA is at the same level as in Auto version or Super Takumar 200/4, and even strong CA from f4 one is quite easy to correct it in Gimp or whatever "digital darkroom", because it's happily lateral CA only Smile
Preset aperture is a pleasure to work with modern digital SLR.

Pentacon Auto is really good performer and starting from f5.6 You will hardly notice any CA even in extreme contrast scenes. It behaves very well in back light conditions and You have retractable lens hood on board.
Depending on some tests, it gives You more resolution in the centre than Super Takumar 200/4, although differences in performance between all good quality "orestegor" design lenses are really cosmetic.

I've sold both 200/4 Pentacon Auto and Super Takumar because I have collected cheaply four (!) copies of preset Orestegor/Pentacon 200/4 so I can use one even in harsh conditions (backup always available), and I have Jupiter-21M as well - I use Jupiter when I need to be a bit closer and when CA could be hard to get rid of with software and Orestegor/Pentacon when shooting in back light situations, or when I just do not want to carry 1kg of objective lens Smile.

Definitely, You will not be disappointed. Smile