Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar (Tokina) T4 105/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Vivitar (Tokina) T4 105/2.8 Reply with quote

This is yet another in that extremely popular Tokina automatic lens series (all available in T4 interchangable mount) of the late 1960's-early 1970's. This one is a Vivitar.

It was of course also sold as a Soligor, Mamiya, Sears, etc. ad infinitum, in T4 and fixed mount versions.

So far my collection of these is almost complete. I only need the 135/3.5, which is supposed to be common but hasn't been easy to get, and the rare 250/4.5.

Its a very conventional lens of its time, the only distinctive point about it is that it does not focus at all close for its type and era, minimum focus is around 5 feet/1.5 m.

Its a rather sharp lens I think, much better than the 135 in the series, and its quite good at f/2.8 . Many makers seem to have devoted more effort on the 105's than the more common 135's. This seems to to me to be the sharpest lens in that Tokina series.

The bird - a bit over-exposed

crop -

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3.5/135 Vivitar #3739527 with T4 mount. I can swap for something else. Sure - this is old and very good Tokina, I have 2 more 2.8/105. All Tokinas from this line have very nice bokeh and are quite sharp wide open.
2.8/105 @2.8

3.5/135 @3.5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very nice indeed!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Attila. Photos were NOT improved using any software.
Just resized and compressed.
BTW today is my lucky day. Just received like new (any single blemish, body and glass) Macro Yashinon 2.8/60 with original Hoya UV filter. Seller didn't place in description the word "Tomioka". Only two e-buyers did try to outbid me. I won with final bid $161. I wish everybody the same.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Please publish samples ASAP Wink very nice deal!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my second Macro Tomioka lens. Samples from the fist one are here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/my-lenses-the-starangest-one-telelumax-then-others-t7693,start,15,highlight,macro+tomioka.html#64799

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Luis and Voytek are T4 collectors, as am I. I have two versions of the 200/3.5. The newer version is more compact, has no tripod collar and takes a smaller filter. Do you know of a similar revision to the 300/5.6?

I believe I have just about all of the T4 series and have begun gathering the later TX series lenses.

I also find the 105/2.8 to be a very nice lens. I am still using film cameras and have yet to do any serious comaprison of the lenses.

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Voytek !

Please let me know what sort of lens you would like to swap for. I have a variety.

Nice results on your stuff.

Hi Bill,

I haven't seen the more compact 200/3.5 in T4, I thought this was a fixed mount only, so what you say is news to me. I believe this Tokina version was part of the lenses sold with the Mamiya open aperture metering SX series.

Do you have the 250/4.5 ?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in M42 lenses. I have many, I want more. Old, older, oldest. Cool
Part of my "dream list" is here http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/42mm_screw_lenses
Please send me PM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

Hi Bill,

I haven't seen the more compact 200/3.5 in T4, I thought this was a fixed mount only, so what you say is news to me. I believe this Tokina version was part of the lenses sold with the Mamiya open aperture metering SX series.

Do you have the 250/4.5 ?

Yes, I have a Soligor version of the 250/4.5. I think I have all of the T4 series, unless there is a compact version of the 300/5.6. One other variation I noticed. I have two Vivitar 28/2.8 with different minimum focus distance.

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you here CasualCollector!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Nice to see you here CasualCollector!

Thanks for the welcome, Attila.

The Tokina/T4 lenses have piqued my interest even more, recently, due to the web, forums like this one and sites by devoted collectors. Just within the past few months I've realized the similarities of the Tokina fixed mount and T4 lenses to those offered by Mamiya-Sekor for their TL and DTL series cameras. I also have Sears and Focal branded lenses that have the Tokina/Mamiya look. I've also seen others; Ricoh, Bushnell and fixed mount Soligors.

Do any of the forum members have factual information of the relationship between Mamiya and Tokina? I'm curious how far back in time the Tokina trademark goes. I recall seeing and ad for Tokina lenses in a trade magazine that predates their entry into the US market under the Tokina brand. It may have even been prior to the introduction of the Asanuma label.

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought Vivitar 3.5/200/T4 with tripod mount. The serial # begins with 100xxx, do you have any idea which manufacturer it could be? Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Voytek,

No idea. Is that a T4 or a TX ? They look similar but are not the same.

T4's were all Tokinas that I know of (T4 was a Tokina product) and was sold by Soligor and Vivitar, but it was only Vivitar that went with TX, one example of how the large distributors started to influence lens design in the 1970's (the Soligor "C/D" lenses are another case). T4 just supported automatic diaphragm operation, and had just one linkage. TX was made to support open-aperture metering so it had another linkage to transfer the aperture information to the camera.

I think there may have been multiple manufacturers for TX lenses, as Vivitar controlled the design and did not have to rely on a single manufacturer.

Also, this is not the only case I have seen of a "mystery" serial number for 1970's Vivitar lenses. I think the famous serial number table is incomplete.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voytek wrote:
I just bought Vivitar 3.5/200/T4 with tripod mount. The serial # begins with 100xxx, do you have any idea which manufacturer it could be? Thanks

I agree with Luis that it is a Tokina made lens. It must have been made before the coded serial number scheme was phased in. I once lost an e-bay auction for a Vivitar badged 135/2.8 with serial #10100!

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In about 40 minutes will end ebay auction #330262619768 with very rare offered 5.5/300 vivitar (TX) made by Tokina.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T4 not TX, and this one isn't rare. Its the old heavy one with the tripod mount.

Nice lens though. One of the better T4's.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/SOLIGOR-TELE-AUTO1-5-5-300MM-LENS-WITH-FILTER_W0QQitemZ290255401928QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item290255401928&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

The same lens, Soligor brand with T4 mount.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have too in past, very average lens.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right Luis, this is of course T4 mount lens.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay

I won the Soligor version of this lens, pretty exciting. I'm posting this because the seller's photos are unusually good ones - someone knows what they are doing. Good oogling.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens looks soooo sexy in deed!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ve found one in T4 mount but would like to adapt it to my D700, anyone knows where I could find an adaptor ?

Thanks .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lordcamel wrote:
I ve found one in T4 mount but would like to adapt it to my D700, anyone knows where I could find an adaptor ?

Thanks .

Easiest place to find one is on the back of another T4 lens. In my experience, the TX adapter for Nikon AI does not work on the T4 lens. The coupling prong on the T4 adapter strikes the flash/prism housing on the D100 and perhaps others. You may need to cut the prong off, or disassemble the adapter and remove it.

Bill