Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus OM 50mm f1.4 vs Contax Planar 50mm f1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Olympus OM 50mm f1.4 vs Contax Planar 50mm f1.4 Reply with quote

I have the Olympus OM 50mm f1.4 and I'm interested in getting a Planar 50mm f1.4. I was wondering if it is worth it? Considering the quality and the price? Special characteristics of the lenses to consider?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will get different bokeh, different colors (Zeiss)
Both are great lens I think they are on same level, only your taste will make difference. Take a Planar and decide by your self keep both or sell which ones.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I luv my 1.4/50 planar, even though I continue to buy more 50mm lenses.
I always fall back to choosing the Planar as my favorite over all of them.

Planar better watch out now, as I have Volna-9 and Rokkor 1,4's in the mails... my xmas presents to self

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback!

On an unrelated note, my PMs seem to be stuck in my outbox. Is that supposed to happen?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still there while reader not open, normal behavior.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
still there while reader not open, normal behavior.

Thanks for the information Attila. I thought that I had the same problem a couple of days ago.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Atilla said, they are different lenses and what is best will depend on your style of photography. I never had much luck with the Oly 50/1.4 although I found it better at short to middle ranges (under 3m). I much prefer the Zeiss 50/1.4 - but I probably use the Olympus 55/1.2 (which can be had for similar money to the Zeiss) the most. It's not as sharp as the Zeiss, and the f1.2 doesn't make much difference in practice - but it gives me the softness I often want. If you prefer razor sharp, the Zeiss wins.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On dslr the OM 1.8/50 is told to be better.

- oh, I am quite sure that a Zeiss Planar will give you not only different color and bokeh but more sharpness too!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never used Planar Planar 50/1.4.

I have Olympus 50mm f1.4 as well as Olympus 50mm f1.8 (as well as Planar 50mm f1.7).

No doubt, If I have to choose one lens out of these 4, I will jump on Planar 50mm f1.7 (difficult to think of a lens better than this).

Olympus 50mm f1.4 is soft wide open, (I consider softer than Tak or may be similar) but very creamy/nice bokeh & nice colors....

Oly 50mm f1.8 is sharp, and tak sharp little stopped down. But busy bokeh. Its very small, almost similar to pancake.

About Olympus 50mm f1.4, there are multiple versions, esp regarding coating. What I have heard, last versions were multi coated and really sharp. Those go for higher prices. Last version with MC are from a particular numbering series. I am not sure, but think, those are from 27xxxx series.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you had trouble with your copy Ballu, any of my copy were sharp at wide open. MC and non-MC both, I did my best shoot in my life with a non-mc Olympus OM 50mm f1.4.

Olympus OM 50mm f1.4 silver nose (single coated lens) + Olympus E-1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a not very scientific test at 1.4 I found the yashica ML was sharpest, but the colour and contrast on the Planar sold it for me. the Oly came third from memory. A nice lens but there is better. at not much more or maybe even less.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zuiko 1.4/50 is a great little lens and still qute affordable.
I have never shot with a Planar 1.4/50.
But I know (and have) other 50ish mm lenses that are really recommendable:
- Leica Summicron-R 2.0/50 (a gem!)
- Takumar 1.4/50
- any Color-Ultron is nice (Rollei, Zeiss, Voigtländer)
- Pentax-M 1.7/50 (this is a hidden treasure!)
- Mamiya Sekor 1.8/55
...just to name a few!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best 50mm f1.4 lens in overall aspects (except the price) in my opinion as follows,

1. Planar T* 50mm f1.4

2. Nikkor-s Non AI 50mm f1.4

3. Nikon AI-S 50mm f1.4

4. Olympus (single coated) 50mm f1.4

5. Pentax-m 50mm f1.4

6. Takumar 50mm f1.4

if concern the price too, I'll buy Nikkor-s Non AI 50mm f1.4, only one. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 50/1,4??

SUMMILUX M !!!!!

I had an intermediate version (2nd). Not MC. Less contrast than the marvelous summicron M 50/2, but it had a dream bokeh and a sensual colors.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanX wrote:

the single coated? that's interesting.
Usually I read that the MC is considered superior, ( Attila I know, your best photo was taken with the singel coated Wink )
and that the MC with a serial number higher than 1.100.000 are further improved.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
KhanX wrote:

the single coated? that's interesting.
Usually I read that the MC is considered superior, ( Attila I know, your best photo was taken with the singel coated Wink )
and that the MC with a serial number higher than 1.100.000 are further improved.

I had both lenses, MC more like AF lenses , neutral. SC more art lens in same situation like bird perform extremely well and in "bookshelf test" , "neighbor roof" perform less Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what an amazing image.

Attila wrote:
I think you had trouble with your copy Ballu, any of my copy were sharp at wide open. MC and non-MC both, I did my best shoot in my life with a non-mc Olympus OM 50mm f1.4.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4Boys wrote:
Wow, what an amazing image.

Attila wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you ! Welcome here!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two copies of OM 50/1.4 SN > 1.1M, both are very sharp wide open. I think there are at least 5 versions of OM 50/1.4, that's why some think that it's soft wide open (presumably using the older versions). Color tends to be a little yellowish, bokeh is a little funky.

I have also C/Y 50/1.4 and 50/1.7 MM. 50/1.4 has more vivid color, a little reddish (not as red as Nikkor though), very sharp and contrasty and of course 3D.

I think they are two rather different lens worth having both.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the price, it should be Zuiko 55/1.2 vs Planar Wink

Here's some OM 55/1.2 shots:

@F1.2

@F1.4

@f2.0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This shot really jumps out at me.

I saw you for sale items. Do you have links to some shots taken with the Helios?

Did you really takes the shot below with a Canon 550D + OM 55/1.2?

vulko wrote:
According to the price, it should be Zuiko 55/1.2 vs Planar Wink

Here's some OM 55/1.2 shots:

@f2.0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4Boys wrote:

I saw you for sale items. Do you have links to some shots taken with the Helios?

Sure, why should I lie? Smile

Here's a Helios 44m-4 portrait (made with the lens i'm selling):

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulko wrote:
4Boys wrote:

Sure, why should I lie? Smile

Here's a Helios 44m-4 portrait (made with the lens i'm selling):

Wasn't implying that you were lying: Just surprised that the camera wasn't a micro four thirds.

Thanks for the image.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only had & tested the OM 50/f1.4....bokeh & focusing are excellent...haven't try the CZ (still dreaming) Wink