Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What have i bought?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: What have i bought? Reply with quote

I went into a charity shop today and came out with a camera with lens and a zoom lens on it's own.

The camera is a Pentacon LLC with a Pentacon Electric 50mm f1.8 M42 lens. I'm guessing that the camera is worth very little so is the lens worth selling separately? I will test it on my 40d 1st to see what it's like. If it's good i will keep it.

I also bought a Petri MC 80 - 200mm f4.5 zoom. I have no idea about this lens as i have never heard of them.

Any info? Also what fitting is this (see pic below) and are adapters available for Canon EOS DSLR's/

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 100% sure that's a Pentax K mount. I know nothing about the lens though. I expect average quality.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF the Pentacon is stopping down properly, then it may sell for up to £25.00 if advertised well. Not sure about the bottom lens, guessing it's a Pentax K or Olympus or something lol

Edit: Spotmatic has identified it as a K, good enough for me!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the 50mm is the same as the M42 version then it's probably good. The zoom is probably average.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 50mm has the M42 thread. I'll test it out in a mo.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyw wrote:
The 50mm has the M42 thread. I'll test it out in a mo.

I use the electric version as my favoured standard prime, I really like the bokeh wide open! Plus it's mega sharp stopped down. The aperture is normally bust on these though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a bit soft this lens?

Here are some test shots:

1: at f1.8

@ f11

2:My son again i think at f1.8

3: Bubbles at f8

4: Bubbles using a Canon 50mm f1.8 (Nifty Fifty AF)

I think this lens is not great at all. I did a few tests on a subject at f1.8 and f8 and there was no difference that i could see. It may be better in sunshine????

Not impressed especially when compared with the Canon 50mm AF

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks alright to me. Nice and sharp at f11! Getting a sharp shot at f1.8 for closeups is always difficult due to the tiny depth of field. With regards the bubbles, is it definately sharpness you are missing with the Pentacon, or is it contrast? Have you got a shot with the Canon of the banana up close @ f1.8 for comparison?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i'm going to have to do a little more testing. I think the lens is not as bad as 1st thought!

Ok here are the bananas: Very little post processing.

1: Pentacon @ f1.8

2: Canon 50mm AF @ f1.8

3: Pentacon @ f11

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may have the same lens as your Petri -

http://forum.mflenses.com/soligor-c-d-80-200-4-5-pk-competition-for-vivitar-series-1-t10528,highlight,soligor.html

Mine is a Soligor C/D series, possibly made by Tokina.

Petri was a camera maker that at one time had its own mount (though its first SLR was actually M42). However by the 1970's it fell on hard times and started just reselling cameras made by Cosina and probably others, first in M42 and later PK.

Petri always bought in its lenses, from a variety of sources.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info. I'm rather worried that it won't be a pentax K mount but i guess there's only one way to find out!!

The pic examples on your linked page look very good so i think it's worth testing mine before it goes on ebay.

Cheers

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyw wrote:
I'm rather worried that it won't be a pentax K mount

Peter (Spotmatic) is 100% sure it's K mount, and so am I. How can you doubt two Peters? Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing two Peters

It definitely is NOT the only other bayonet Petri made: the Petri bayonet.

It definitely looks like a K bayonet.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.s. with Petri I always think of the Dick Van Dyke show...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

I'll get a K adapter and see. I'm sure all will be ok! If the quality is good then that will be another keeper! Woo hoo.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Petri 2.8/135 mm lens. You can 200 % sure that this is a Pentax K mount Wink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
I own a Petri 2.8/135 mm lens. You can 200 % sure that this is a Pentax K mount Wink
phew!! Laughing