Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Enough is enough...or is it???
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Enough is enough...or is it??? Reply with quote

135s that is...this disease being what it is, I forget what I have sometimes Embarassed

The back three are L-R :

Revuenon 2.8/135
Pentacon Auto 2.8/135
Porst Tele MC 2.8/135

The front five are L-R :

Jupiter-37A 3.5/135 (one of my first M42 lenses, and free of charge)
Jupiter-37A 3.5/135 1980 Moscow Olympics
Jupiter-11A 4/135
Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 3.5/135 (also free of charge)
CZJ Sonnar MC 3.5/135

They're all M42 mount.

The only one I don't use out of these is the Jupiter-37A 3.5/135 Moscow 1980 lens - it's in such good condition with its original caps, case and paperwork I can't come around to using it.

Oh, there's a Jupiter-37A MC 3.5/135 on the way - then I'll really be cured
Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe... and I thought I had a problem Laughing
very nice collection!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the Tair 11A ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:

Smile And the Bokeh-Monster!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:

Oh man - just when I thought I had my bases covered Laughing Laughing Laughing

peterqd wrote:
And the Bokeh-Monster!

What is this "Bokeh-Monster" of which you speak? Confused

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The silver Tair-11... Wink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
The silver Tair-11... Wink

Thanks Lucis - perhaps "Saint PayPal" will be good to me this year and bring me one of each... Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bokeh-monster is the earlier preset version of your automatic Pentacon 2.8/135. It was originally the Meyer-Optik Orestor in zebra style, but was rebranded as Pentacon in black finish after the merger, until your version was released. It has slightly less contrast than some of your other lenses si it doesn't appear quite as sharp, but the bokeh is superb due to the 15-blade diaphragm.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
The bokeh-monster is the earlier preset version of your automatic Pentacon 2.8/135. It was originally the Meyer-Optik Orestor in zebra style, but was rebranded as Pentacon in black finish after the merger, until your version was released. It has slightly less contrast than some of your other lenses si it doesn't appear quite as sharp, but the bokeh is superb due to the 15-blade diaphragm.

This is priceless information for me (and others), thanks for taking the time to expand - Bokeh Monster is now on my wish-list : there's an Orestor on the Bay for £42.00 at the moment, is it worth it? (Perhaps this query should be in Marketplace...)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

£42 sounds a bit on the expensive side, but prices for M42s in general have been going up and we've been praising this lens recently here! Smile For me it would need to be in tip-top condition for that price, and with its lens hood and caps and possibly a case too. They are on sale all the time so I think I'd probably wait for another one.

Mal, if you copy the item number from the Ebay page and paste it between the EBAY tags when you reply, it will create a direct link. But don't put it here in the Equipment Gallery - use the members-only MFL Club forum so that the whole world can't see it. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
£42 sounds a bit on the expensive side, but prices for M42s in general have been going up and we've been praising this lens recently here! Smile For me it would need to be in tip-top condition for that price, and with its lens hood and caps and possibly a case too. They are on sale all the time so I think I'd probably wait for another one.

Mal, if you copy the item number from the Ebay page and paste it between the EBAY tags when you reply, it will create a direct link. But don't put it here in the Equipment Gallery - use the members-only MFL Club forum so that the whole world can't see it. Wink

It was a purely speculative question, upon mature reflection it does seem a bit much for a lens which is not in great nick and without caps or case, but thanks again for the confirmation and your help. I can hold off for another few minutes!!!

The MFL Club forum? Is this not it? Or is there a "Nudge-Nudge, Wink-Wink Ministry of Silly Walks" type of thing required for access?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, sorry. I realised after I posted that you're a fairly new member and you might not be able to see the MFL Club. You have to be a regular poster before you get access. It's not special club, just an area where we can post messages that can't be accessed by the world at large, including lurkers. Attila is the administrator - drop him a PM and I'm sure he'll let you in! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Ah, sorry. I realised after I posted that you're a fairly new member and you might not be able to see the MFL Club. You have to be a regular poster before you get access. It's not special club, just an area where we can post messages that can't be accessed by the world at large, including lurkers. Attila is the administrator - drop him a PM and I'm sure he'll let you in! Smile

I had a PM his morning about this, time to get posting methinks Laughing

And Attila - thanks Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this pic of the Meyer and Pentacon 2.8/135s. Looks like someone else has your disease. The three on the left are all bokeh-monsters! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the lookout big-time now - THEN my 135 LBA will be satisified...yeah right Rolling Eyes

peterqd wrote:
I found this pic of the Meyer and Pentacon 2.8/135s. Looks like someone else has your disease. The three on the left are all bokeh-monsters! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear - a Pentacon MC 2.8/135 arrived this morning, and I suspect that the packet I've got to collect at the Post Office is the Jupiter-37A MC so perhaps I'm further away than ever from a cure Embarassed

Anyway, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you - thanks for your help to date, don't worry, I'm sure I'll be looking for more in 2009 Razz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quit buying lenses and indeed I will sell the ones that I don't use frequently including Zeiss lenses. But I'll do buy, try, shoot, write review and sell back in Turkey. I have a seminar in january named "Using MF lenses on DSLRs" and will finish my Turkish MF lens site so I'll hold lot's of beauties even if they are not mine and this is what I really love: get one, use one, shoot with that one and review&share that one Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too Mal.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the bokemonster? (added to picture from peterqd)

http://img1.abload.de/img/pentacon1355z78q.jpg

seems to have pre-set ring, but the letters are green and the front part is not conical, but cylindrical, like on later auto version... Confused

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Is this the bokemonster? (added to picture from peterqd)

http://img1.abload.de/img/pentacon1355z78q.jpg

seems to have pre-set ring, but the letters are green and the front part is not conical, but cylindrical, like on later auto version... Confused

Yes. I think it is. I've never seen one like that before, thankyou for adding to my knowledge!

From the preset ring down to the mount the body shape is identical to No. 3 in the picture I posted. Yours must be even later. It looks like they changed the shape of the filter ring part and the hood and changed the lettering. I have a 4/200 Orestegon with green lettering and similar style focus grip. The build quality of these lenses is superb.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I should recieve the lens in a week. I'll post better pictures.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I found this pic of the Meyer and Pentacon 2.8/135s.

Is that "zebra"-like finishing on the Meyer really common? I know that Zeiss Jena used a zebra finish, but i've seen and felt with my own hands this particular kind of zebra finishing (which seems different from the Jenas one, to me) on an Iscotar 50 2.8 mounted on an Edixa Prismat.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mUg wrote:
Is that "zebra"-like finishing on the Meyer really common? I know that Zeiss Jena used a zebra finish, but i've seen and felt with my own hands this particular kind of zebra finishing (which seems different from the Jenas one, to me) on an Iscotar 50 2.8 mounted on an Edixa Prismat.

Yes, fairly common but more on European lenses than Japanese. It was a fashion in the 1960's, in between the all-aluminium finish and all-black. Zeiss, Meyer, Schneider and virtually all other German makes had zebra models (I'm not sure about Leica & Rollei though). And I have a zebra Helios-44-2. In Japan at that time they seemed to favour more the style of black lenses with aluminium aperture rings.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like there's a fair amount of interest in the old 135s - at first I thought I might have opened a Pandora's Box, found a can of worms and thrown them at a fan with my lack of knowledge - but for me personally, this is really useful dialogue.

May I assume that this recent arrival is nothing 'monstrous' compared to the others in Peter's shot?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the new version (auto MC). It has more contrast, but not so good bokeh, as the older one (preset, no MC).