MFlenses - A new life in a digital age
MFLenses 2026

Manual Focus Lenses Forum

Explore the world of vintage lenses through repair notes, real test shots, and detailed archive threads packed with images.

Explore the world of vintage lenses through repair notes, real test shots, and detailed archive threads packed with images.
logovectorizer.com
Spotlight

Featured partner placement for the forum front page.

Anyone replaced electrolytic capacitors to a 70-s SLR?
View previous topic :: View next topic  


Reply

I have this 1 € Japanese SLR with defect shutter: mechanical things work and also metering. But the solenoid that controls the latter curtain just doesn't work properly.

This is my deduction, I don't have the equipment to actually test the circuitry: Electrolytic capacitors from the 70's and 80's are notorious for their aging. And since the circuitry is only 3 volts the solenoid must use some capacitor. So if I change all the capacitors (ok - that is not very easy because they might be all around the camera).

Any ideas / comments?

(just throw it away is not a new idea, I figured that out myself)


Reply

kansalliskala wrote:
And since the circuitry is only 3 volts the solenoid must use some capacitor. So if I change all the capacitors (ok - that is not very easy because they might be all around the camera).


I don't understand your logic.


Reply

You don't say the make of the camera. This is a very common problem with Minolta X models. These have two capacitors, one in the rewind crank area under the top cover, and the other easily accessible inside the baseplate. There's plenty of info on the web. For instance
http://twid.de/x700/#fixc

You can buy replacement Minolta memory capacitors from Micro Tools, but they don't look the same, so I'm not sure if they'll help in your case.
http://www.micro-tools.de/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Eng&Product_Code=9581-4798-31