Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Flektogon 20/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Flektogon 20/2.8 Reply with quote

The Flek 20/2.8 seems to be a good choice for me.

The quality seems good and the lens is available that makes it affordable.

any other advise

Guido

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to and are able to spend the money, go for it!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not that I want to spent money but I intend to buy only one wideangle so it might be a good one. In a MF lens I like f2.8 over f4 because of the age of my eyes LOL. The zenitar might be cheaper but not that much, probably because its so wel known. The fish Eye effect off the zenitar is a bit to much for my purpose.

Guido

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jigt wrote:
Its not that I want to spent money but I intend to buy only one wideangle so it might be a good one. In a MF lens I like f2.8 over f4 because of the age of my eyes LOL.
Guido

Guido, I did not first reply because I wrote so many times about this that I was afraid to be boring.
The fact is that the f/2.8 aperture on the Flek 2.8/20 is unuseable because it is too soft and with bad corners.
The lens becomes useable at f/5.6 not earlier, which makes it the same practically as the 4/20, which only need one stop to become good.
But the 4/20 has much better distortion control and the used price is almost half of that of the 2.8/20.
The only advantage I would see in the 2.8/20 is the extra stop for focusing purpose only. But for the rest the 4/20 is a better lens and a better buy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx Orio

G

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points, Orio! And true, since with a wide angle you very rarely need f2.8. Even focussing is not too difficult, at f5.6 and 20mm you will get a wide DoF...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also wanted to add, that if sharpness is your priority, you should not get the Flek but look at other brands instead, such as Nikon or Olympus.
The Flek is decently sharp but it will not beat those lenses in the acutance department.

Where it will win, by a far distance, is in the distortion control. Words like "barrel distortion" or "pincushion distortion" are virtually unknown to the Flek 4/20. If you take care of aligning your camera with the bubble level, so that you won't have converging lines, you will never have to worry about any other type of distortion.

I have never found a lens that is so distortion free, except for some 50mm of course (but not even all of them!).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not even the mighty Distagon 2.8/21 approaches the ol' Flek 4/20 for lack of distortion, although it'll bury it for sharpness.

The Flek 4/20 is the bizz for architecture or anything where straight lines need to remain straight.