Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Smudge/haze after fungus cleaning
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Smudge/haze after fungus cleaning Reply with quote

Yesterday i decided to clean the fungus from a cheap Olympus f.zuiko 50/1.8. As usual i used hydrogen peroxide. I did it to tens of lenses before. There are specimens that cannot be removed with hydrogen peroxide only then i mix it 50/50 with ammonia. In this case i didnt because the fungi disappeared.
Then i cleaned the glass with lens tissues and ROR but when i put it on the light i found that the glass has smudge/haze which cannot be cleaned in any way. I am not sure if its because of the hydrogen peroxide, ROR or the fungi. Here is a picture:

Any advice? I can polish the glass but i want to know if anybody has experienced it before and what causes it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polishing it yourself is out of question. In general having it polished and re-coated sometimes costs more than buying another one. What lens is it?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zanxion72 wrote:
Polishing it yourself is out of question. In general having it polished and re-coated sometimes costs more than buying another one. What lens is it?

Its a cheap Olympus f.zuiko 50/1.8 auto-s. I dont care much about it but wanna know what and how to avoid.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried cleaning fungus out of a Zuiko 50 1.8 and made it worse, exactly the same problem with haze that couldn't be cleaned. I use cold cream to clean fungus, which isn't aggressive at all.
I stripped the lens and mounted an old folding camera lens in the helicoid, so I should have the glass somewhere Rolling Eyes If I find it I'll try cleaning it again.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. This happens to me for first time. I cleaned/repaired many lenses. So it seems that these zuikos have some different coating. I can try to polish it with Cerium Oxide and Dremel removing the coating completely.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have a Tokina zoom with the same problem i.e. it has a haze and it's behind the front element and nothing works removing it. Doesn't seem to affect the sharpness but probably reduces contrast .....as in theory a haze must have some effect.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soft coating(s) of internal surfaces of lens optics is not unknown! (Nor is etching due to fungal metabolic actions.)

Search for a thread listing these lenses?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just throw it away. If it is not a group of elements but a simple one, dip it in water with detergent overnight and see if it gets cleaned. If not don't spend more of your time with it, it won't go away.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Soft coating(s) of internal surfaces of lens optics is not unknown! (Nor is etching due to fungal metabolic actions.)

Search for a thread listing these lenses?

Its the front element's outer surface. So the surface which should be the most durable. The fungus were only inside the group. Im very suspicious about the ROR lense cleaner. It always leave a tiny film when im cleaning the lens. Even that i use a short spray on the cloth.