Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron AD2 70-210/3.8-4 46A - another superb budget zoom
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Tamron AD2 70-210/3.8-4 46A - another superb budget zoom Reply with quote

I've been a fan of the 103A 80-210/3.8-4 for a long time now, as it outperforms many of my other zooms including my modern AF Sigma and Tokina models. The 46A is the sucessor, and although often slated for being a bit plasticky, the lens is lighter and performs very, very well.

My copy had been sitting around unused for 6 months as it has some hazing or fungus in the middle, which cause it to overexpose a bit. Check out these snaps taken at the farm last week though:

100% crop

I needed quite a bit of sharpening for this one, as the little guy kept moving!

Most shots had a minimal (20% or so) amount of unsharp mask applied, and I needed to PP the contrast, shadows and highlights a bit because of the haze/fungus.

These can be picked up for around the £10.00 mark, which I think makes this model a bit of a bargain!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty incredible indeed! Thank you for sharing! I suppose samples are superb your camera and your subject selection shows far better lens than a Tamron lens.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results - that duckling is SUPER CUTE! and I like the goat too

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! Quality images there. I love the goad eating the bolt, good capture Smile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great pics! my favorites are with the goat, she try to unscrew the bolt for freedom and on the previous her eyes says 'save me save me'

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang! Am I correct in thinking that this is not an SP Tamron? I've heard great things about their 70-210s, but have never owned one. I opted for the SP 60-300 f/3.8-5.4 instead, and have been very happy with it -- another lens that can be picked up for cheap, btw. The last one I bought I paid $20 for.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,

absolutely nice pictures! I've got the 85-210 4.5 Adaptall zoom for my Nikon and I'm very impressed every time I put it onto my D1x. The Macro mode is a killer, the only think which pains a bit is that it's a two touch type! Does yours have a macro mode?

cheers,

Karhallarn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, this is the standard Adaptall 2 one! Great performer Smile

It continously focuses into the macro mode I believe Smile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like Tamron has done a better job than most other lens makers when it comes to implementing a macro mode on their zooms. I like the idea that it is continuous with yours. Does the zoom indicate what the maximum magnification is?

My 60-300 will get all the way down to 1:1.55, which is almost unheard of for a zoom, but it has a dedicated macro mode that must be engaged. Oh, I see you own one, so you already know that Cool

Hmmm . . . I don't see the 46A listed in your sig. How would you compare its performance to the other short-to-long tele Tamron zooms you have listed in your sig? I don't see how performance could get much better, to be honest, but I'm curious.