Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sears (Mamiya SX/Tokina) 90-230/4.5 - last of the line
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Sears (Mamiya SX/Tokina) 90-230/4.5 - last of the line Reply with quote

I picked this up several months ago in a batch of other Sears lenses.

It is actually a Mamiya SX-series lens, made by Tokina as with so many other Mamiya lenses. This is a modernized version of an old design by Tokina. The older version is perhaps the most common zoom lens in the secondhand market, sold under dozens of brands in all sorts of mounts. The SX or modernized version is much harder to find. This older one was also sold by Sears -

http://forum.mflenses.com/sears-tokina-90-230-4-5-common-as-dirt-t7798,highlight,dirt.html

The design is actually even older, from the 1960's, the earliest of this design were T-mount presets. I'm looking for one of those.

Mamiya SX lenses were standard M42 mounts, but with one difference - they had an extra pin that transferred the aperture setting to the camera, to allow open-aperture metering. This pin will prevent mounting SX lenses on any DSLR M42 adapter/camera mount. Luckily, its often possible to just pull it out - and restore it if necessary.

The other problem with Mamiya SX lenses is that like so many later M42 lenses, they have no manual-auto switch. This lens is also a little difficult to disassemble. So for this one I drilled and tapped a hole by the stop-down pin, and screwed in a piece of brass to hold down the pin. This works very well, its easy to remove if necessary, and is a practical solution if there is enough room in the mount for a screw hole.

As for performance - this is quite good for such an old design I think. It is sharp wide-open, though its prone to color fringing. The lens also focuses much closer than the original version (less than 2 m vs 3), holds focus while zooming fairly well,and gets to infinity throughout the range. I've had a lot of poor light lately (overcast and foggy), so a lot of these are at f/4.5.

The bird -

crop -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Sears (Mamiya SX/Tokina) 90-230/4.5 - last of the line Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I picked this up several months ago in a batch of other Sears lenses.

It is actually a Mamiya SX-series lens, made by Tokina as with so many other Mamiya lenses. This is a modernized version of an old design by Tokina. The older version is perhaps the most common zoom lens in the secondhand market, sold under dozens of brands in all sorts of mounts. The SX or modernized version is much harder to find. This older one was also sold by Sears -

http://forum.mflenses.com/sears-tokina-90-230-4-5-common-as-dirt-t7798,highlight,dirt.html

The design is actually even older, from the 1960's, the earliest of this design were T-mount presets. I'm looking for one of those.

Mamiya SX lenses were standard M42 mounts, but with one difference - they had an extra pin that transferred the aperture setting to the camera, to allow open-aperture metering. This pin will prevent mounting SX lenses on any DSLR M42 adapter/camera mount. Luckily, its often possible to just pull it out - and restore it if necessary.

The other problem with Mamiya SX lenses is that like so many later M42 lenses, they have no manual-auto switch. This lens is also a little difficult to disassemble. So for this one I drilled and tapped a hole by the stop-down pin, and screwed in a piece of brass to hold down the pin. This works very well, its easy to remove if necessary, and is a practical solution if there is enough room in the mount for a screw hole.

As for performance - this is quite good for such an old design I think. It is sharp wide-open, though its prone to color fringing. The lens also focuses much closer than the original version (less than 2 m vs 3), holds focus while zooming fairly well,and gets to infinity throughout the range. I've had a lot of poor light lately (overcast and foggy), so a lot of these are at f/4.5.

The bird -

crop -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I HIGHLY suggest taking a look at this website.
Ron has done more research on Mamiya than anyone I know.

http://rherron.conforums.com/index.cgi

Mamiya made their own glass.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice photographs and presentation, as usual.

I have the T4 Vivitar incarnation, and was quite pleased with the performance towards the 90mm end - very nice bokeh/separation and color density.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Spiralcity !

I have looked at that site. The gentleman has made some unwarranted assumptions I believe. His information does not show that Mamiya made the lenses for their consumer SLR lines specifically. Its a large leap of logic to assume that because Mamiya made some lenses that they made all of them. We can't even say that about Nikon.

The consumer SLR line was a business that Mamiya entered tentatively with a "me too" M42 camera after having failed repeatedly earlier. It makes sense to go third-party for this stuff, it reduces the investment required and reduces risk.

Its clear that for these, through the SX series, the Mamiya branded lenses were the same ones that half the new entries in the Japanese SLR business were using, and a good portion of the third-party lens merchants too.

For example, a simple side-by-side comparison of the equivalent Mamiya lens vs (for example) a Vivitar of the same period with the "37xxxx.."(Tokina) serial number will show that they are twin brothers in slightly different clothing. Have a look at the very distinctive 90-230/4.5 zooms Mamiya supplied for the TL series - they are the same as the just as distinctive 90-230/4.5 zooms that were sold under dozens of brand names by vendors around the world. Either Mamiya was supplying a large chunk of the global third party lens business, or these all (including Mamiya) were getting them from the same source.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest i cant say either way about Mamiya. Im not an expert in that area. I do know for a fact that Ron has done more research than anyone I know on the subject. He has massed all the data that is available
on the subject.

Im not disagreeing with you, but I find it VERY hard to doubt Ron.

I will pass yopur thoghts on to Ron and I'll post his reply on this thread.

Posted below is what Ron had to say about a similar assumption.

Quote:
I'd love to know what they are using as reference, besides their own assumptions.

Mamiya bought lenses for their early medium format Mamiya-6 folders, but made their own rangefinder and SLR lenses after WWII (and they didn't even market a 35mm SLR until 1961).

Immediately following WWII, Mamiya faced many production problems. Shutters and lenses were in short supply. Many manufacturers began to make their own, to meet demand. Unable to buy a sufficient supply of shutters and lenses from Chiyoda, their former supplier, Mamiya purchased a factory in Setagaya (Tokyo) to manufacture shutters and lenses for themselves.

It was this Mamiya Setagaya factory (later called Setagaya Koki) that originated the Sekor lens name. (Note: for a short time in the late 40s, Mamiya also bought lenses from Olympus Optical).

Lenses marked Revuenon, Osawa and Bell&Howell were made that fit many of the later bayonet-mount Mamiya 35mm's, but only Osawa was made by someone other than Mamiya. The others, according to the slim Mamiya records I have ever located, were re-branded Mamiya lenses for specific marketing partners in the US and Germany.

Note this reference to Tomioka lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some further information, at least applicable for the USA:
http://www.vermontel.net/~wsalati/CasualCollector/t4_for_two.htm

Quote:
Back in the 1960s and 70s, two photographic equipment importers waged a polite battle of ads in the photography magazines. Allied Impex Corporation and Ponder & Best imported highly competitive lines of cameras, lenses and accessories. Allied Impex brought us Miranda cameras and Soligor lenses. From Ponder and Best came the Mamiya /Sekor cameras and Vivitar lenses. In the early 1970s, sharp-eyed enthusiasts began to notice an odd occurrence. A.I.C. and P&B were importing competing, nearly identical products from the same manufacturer! Herewith, the incomplete story of "Professional T4 Lenses".

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some lively discussion going on here so I'll chime in.

The reference to Ron Herron's site and his assertion that Mamiya made their own lenses can be taken in several ways. Could be that Mamiya did make their own lenses for their 35mm SLR cameras. Since they were into private label manufacture of cameras fairly early on, perhaps they applied the same scheme to lenses.

Perhaps the Setagaya Koki factory supplied many, but not all, of the Mamiya/Sekor lenses. My guess is that the same factory, doing business as Tokyo Koki/Tokina, supplied the same lenses to whoever wanted to buy them. That list would include Ricoh, Miranda, Sears, K-Mart, Lentar, Bushnell, Soligor, Vivitar and many, many others.

A few lenses in the Mamiy/Sekor line that didn't come from the Sekor/Tokina factory would be the 50-55mm normals and the distinctive 60mm macro. I think these lenses came from Tomioka. Why would Sekor/Tokina not make normal lenses? If a perfectly good product is available, why re-invent the wheel?

The money was not to be made in 50mm normals, every camera came with one. The money was in accessory wide, tele and zoom lenses and that's what Sekor/Tokina went after as did Nitto/Komine, Kino Precision, Cima Kogaku, Makina, Cosina, Sankyo Kohki/Komura along with the better known Tamron and Sigma.

That Mamiya and Tokina were the same company at one time is just a guess on my part but it seems to make a certain amount of sense. Until we learn Japanese and talk with people who worked in these factories 40 years ago we're not going to know for sure.

Bill

P.S. Nesster:

I wrote that Soligor - Vivitar - T4 piece about five years ago. I've changed some of my opinions since then!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually find this to be rather educational. Very Happy

I'm still waiting on a reply from Ron.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
Some lively discussion going on here so I'll chime in.

The reference to Ron Herron's site and his assertion that Mamiya made their own lenses can be taken in several ways. Could be that Mamiya did make their own lenses for their 35mm SLR cameras. Since they were into private label manufacture of cameras fairly early on, perhaps they applied the same scheme to lenses.

Perhaps the Setagaya Koki factory supplied many, but not all, of the Mamiya/Sekor lenses. My guess is that the same factory, doing business as Tokyo Koki/Tokina, supplied the same lenses to whoever wanted to buy them. That list would include Ricoh, Miranda, Sears, K-Mart, Lentar, Bushnell, Soligor, Vivitar and many, many others.

A few lenses in the Mamiy/Sekor line that didn't come from the Sekor/Tokina factory would be the 50-55mm normals and the distinctive 60mm macro. I think these lenses came from Tomioka. Why would Sekor/Tokina not make normal lenses? If a perfectly good product is available, why re-invent the wheel?

The money was not to be made in 50mm normals, every camera came with one. The money was in accessory wide, tele and zoom lenses and that's what Sekor/Tokina went after as did Nitto/Komine, Kino Precision, Cima Kogaku, Makina, Cosina, Sankyo Kohki/Komura along with the better known Tamron and Sigma.

That Mamiya and Tokina were the same company at one time is just a guess on my part but it seems to make a certain amount of sense. Until we learn Japanese and talk with people who worked in these factories 40 years ago we're not going to know for sure.

Bill

P.S. Nesster:

I wrote that Soligor - Vivitar - T4 piece about five years ago. I've changed some of my opinions since then!

Hi,
From what I understand, Tomioka never made any lenses for Mamiya. This has been debated in the past.
But as I stated; I'm not an expert on the subject.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:
From what I understand, Tomioka never made any lenses for Mamiya. This has been debated in the past.
But as I stated; I'm not an expert on the subject.

The 60mm/f-2.8 preset macro is a very distinctive lens and is generally attributed to Tomioka. I believe most Yashinon versions were also inscribed Tomioka. This lens shows up on e-bay regularly. The same lens was offered in the Mamiya M-42 line and as the Miranda Macron. The statement that Tomioka never made any lenses for Mamiya is at least suspect if not wrong. I don't claim to be an expert either, but I've seen a lot of stuff!

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not outstanding but looks very nice but I don't think that it would produce the same images on my hands Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis,
I have the exact same lens and had poor results with it but after seeing yours, I did a serious cleaning and had some very good results:

I'm very pleased with it and will use it more often now.

Thanks

Jules