Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best way to put film to digital ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Best way to put film to digital ? Reply with quote

Seems I will shoot some roll with film cameras. Photo lab has an option to scan film. Is it good enough to publish the result in large size ?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to put film to digital ? Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Seems I will shoot some roll with film cameras. Photo lab has an option to scan film. Is it good enough to publish the result in large size ?

'Publish' ? If you mean to the Web, Yes ample. If you mean any other type of Publish No. I will be OK for Fair to Good 7 x 5 inch photo prints. If you are talking about MF film then a 10 x 8, even a 12 x 10 may be OK.
My film scanning days have been done but IMHO the best way to do a few qulity scans is to have 12 x 10 hand printed prints done and scan them. The alternative is to spend a lot of time learning how to do it and a lot of money buying a good scanner. Even then your results may be the noise filled examples often seen on the web. And thats web size. Imagine a print!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, scanning negatives or slides needs a good equipment and esp. with negatives it's not easy.
My local lab scans my film rolls with about 3 MPix and a pretty good quality. That's really OK for small prints and the Internet. For larger prints I would use the negative.