Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica Electro GL - First Roll (expired film)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Yashica Electro GL - First Roll (expired film) Reply with quote

I went ahead and bought a Yashica Electro GL knowing that the description says it has a stuck shutter. Fortunately it was alright. I think the seller could only hear the shutter click, but cannot see the leaf shutter moves. Of course, it was opening and closing at 1/500 sec when battery is not present.

Went to the hardware store and bought a 4LR44 battery, some tubes, spring, and after stuffing some aluminum foil in the tube, and voila I got an acceptable power source for the camera. It's alive, it's alive....... Played around with different aperture and ISO settings to make sure the exposure meter is giving out reasonably correct information to control shutter speed.

On further inspection, the light seal could do with a replacement....something for later. I then went to the photostore to get some cheap film to test. Took a box of expired (2006) Superia 400 and loaded it in.

Unfortunately today I got an Electro GX that's not working. It looks like the shutter timer is not releasing the timer control to move after pressing the shutter. I will post this in the GX open thread later to seek for help.

In the mean time.....

The following are some department store scan of the expired film I used.

Don't laugh please. Picture 1 is the very first pic that came out from the camera and my first experience with RF. Any idea what happened? And tell me what you think of the rest. Thanks.

Picture 1

Picture 2 Larger --> http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3019/3048527717_dfbe33dab5_b.jpg

Picture 3 Larger --> http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3159/3049367922_2bacf78c7d_b.jpg

Picture 4 Larger --> http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3204/3048527809_de76e3a443_b.jpg

Picture 5 My neighbor's kid, they just came back from school.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any idea what happened?

Yes, you did not advance the film enough and the first frame was shot on the piece of film that was exposed to light.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Quote:
Any idea what happened?

Yes, you did not advance the film enough and the first frame was shot on the piece of film that was exposed to light.

Duh!!!! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!
It looks like it is exposing correctly and has a nice sharp lens.
You are the first I know to have a working GL Razz
The lens is the same as the GX unless I am mistaken.

Give a try with some Provia Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy. I am really glad that it was working too. I thought you have one working also. Well. That's probably not something you want to even be thinking now...now that the king or the beast of all RF is in your hands. I am really happy for you and the ZI.

I will try Provia soon. There were 5 expired film canisters in the box for less than $5 and I just bought an FP5 for BW, the shop doesn't have 1600 Neopan which I would really like to try. I asked for the new Ektar 100, but the guy at Cord Photo has not even heard of it, unfortunately Cord is the only photo shop in town. Have you tried the new Ektar?

KBZ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I did not try the ektar yet.
I'm leaving for Seattle in a bit and will stop in at Glazer Camera they may have it.

You can push that FP5 to 1600 quite easily. If you develop yourself Ilford should have info on their website for developing times/chemistry used.
If you have a shop do the development. They should be able to figure it out.

My notes show for Delta400

Push to 1600 Kodak Tmax developer at 75degrees 8.5 minutes
Push to 3200 " " 11 minutes

Should be a good starting point for FP5 if you use Tmax developer Wink