Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bessa RF Velvia 100 Magenta cast removed
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Bessa RF Velvia 100 Magenta cast removed Reply with quote

I can't imagine better cam for me Shocked Made in 1938 !

Hi-res images are here

Last edited by Attila on Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are stunning Attila. Aren't you glad digital processing is available to correct film?

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Impressive! 1938? Wow!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Those are stunning Attila. Aren't you glad digital processing is available to correct film?

patrickh

Yes, it is. Digital processing is best thing what happened with photographers.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results, Attila!
Congratulations, this camera seems to work very well, and the post processing is very fine!.
Very nice shots!!

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Wow! Impressive! 1938? Wow!

Yes, most of the pre-war lens are "crappy" compare with current ones. Some of them are amazing like this one. I am really fallen in love with Voigtlanders.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeeezzzzzz!
That is one fine image maker.
I suppose two fine image makers.
The camera and the photographer Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1938 you say? doesn't look like it one bit!

Stunning!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken with this cam!

I have a few item what I would like to keep forever, Pancolar 80, Biotar 75 and now this one. Oh Bessa L+Voigtlander 15mm Wink

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say it Attila but there's still a lot of magenta in the pictures.

As I told you I also have that camera and I also can't manage to get color balanced pictures from Velvia. Provia (especially 400F) was better though, but far from perfect.

I should use an UV filter as someone said, but I think I'll use both Bessa and Ikonta for B&W (or negative color film) and use Pentacon Six for slides.

Easiest solution Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:
I hate to say it Attila but there's still a lot of magenta in the pictures.

As I told you I also have that camera and I also can't manage to get color balanced pictures from Velvia. Provia (especially 400F) was better though, but far from perfect.

I should use an UV filter as someone said, but I think I'll use both Bessa and Ikonta for B&W (or negative color film) and use Pentacon Six for slides.

Easiest solution Very Happy

I don't care Wink I like this result very much.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that magenta cast of Velvia can change depending on which camera. I shot Velvia with many cameras and I always got magenta cast.
I think that more or less cast depends on both light condition and chemical development.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive!

I recognize the camera. My father had something similar, at least a Voigtländer with bellow.
Might be worth looking for next time I visit.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think that magenta cast of Velvia can change depending on which camera. I shot Velvia with many cameras and I always got magenta cast.
I think that more or less cast depends on both light condition and chemical development.

Orio you have it right.
The only chance is to use corrective filters when shooting.
Film that is balance for a certain light temperature is going to have odd hues shot under different light temperatures.
The camera, lens, fingers crossed ......whatever will not change it.
Only a filter can help and not always in full.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still I don't have magenta cast with CZJ MC lenses for Pentacon Six.

And the developing lab was the same so should be the chemical bath.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps MC lens is key, who knows.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Quote:

Orio you have it right.
The only chance is to use corrective filters when shooting.
Film that is balance for a certain light temperature is going to have odd hues shot under different light temperatures.
The camera, lens, fingers crossed ......whatever will not change it.
Only a filter can help and not always in full.

I surmise that the statements indicate that Velvia will show magenta cast, no matter which camera or scene?

I am not sure that is the case - I will try to find my old slides with AE-1 and Canon FD lenses with Velvia 50 under varying conditions.

I don't remember magenta casts in any of those slides, but I certainly will be the first to admit that my memory is being left behind... Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Perhaps MC lens is key, who knows.

You can see again the shots I made in the woods last week with Velvia and P6, no magenta cast anywhere. I didn't correct them a bit in Silverfast or Photoshop.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Attila --- I like these pictures a lot !!!

@ Orio -- I am getting worried that you have the true --
unfortunately shadows on Velvia can be seen as STRONG MAGENTA and there is nothing how to remove this issue --
doesn't depend on camera -- I found this on my Hassy, but results very similar to Attila's..

@Alessandro -- please, have you got any examples with your Pentacon6? It would so kind of you to see them Smile many thanks...

@ Attila --- I was just trying to adjust these pics Smile all rights reserved by ATTILA, of course Smile!
The colours may vary on different monitors.. Smile I hope I haven't done anything wrong .. Smile

cheers

tf
[/img]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Trifox on correcting those, still the #7 need a bit more correction and #4 and #6 just a tiny bit.

These are my latest shots with Velvia 50 http://forum.mflenses.com/medium-format-autumn-t12057.html and sincerely I don't see the same magenta cast.

I experienced it though with Bessa and Velvia 100F a lot similar to Attila.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:
Nice work Trifox on correcting those, still the #7 need a bit more correction and #4 and #6 just a tiny bit.

These are my latest shots with Velvia 50 http://forum.mflenses.com/medium-format-autumn-t12057.html and sincerely I don't see the same magenta cast.

I experienced it though with Bessa and Velvia 100F a lot similar to Attila.

Hi Alessandro --- yep, the no.7 hard to adjust quickly -- needs a local adjustment with a masking --- I can do it, 4 and 6 as well..

The first advantage of Magenta is that it makes a contrast on picture especially with blue tones --- it can't be just simply removed -- otherwise the contrast can be lost ..

VELVIA 50 Seems to be better for landscapes --- because of her lower sensivity so replacement magenta tone is not requiered anymore...

coming back soon

tf

Last edited by trifox on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your version also Trifox, thank you for all of you to help me to get better result!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I like your version also Trifox, thank you for all of you to help me to get better result!

Cheers Atilla , if you want I can adjust your pics in full -- it was just a quick adjustmet Smile

the finding is propably this:
for pictures like landscapes -- Velvia 50 is better (see Alessandro's examples) or Provia 100 or filter --- I'll try to scan my Provia pics...we shall see..

Velvia 100 has some magenta in emulsion because of higher ISO to make a picture more contrasty -- this is only my guess Smile not exact !!! Smile

tf