Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Brassai - In Montmartre
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Brassai - In Montmartre Reply with quote

Brassai's In Montmartre is simply fantastic.

I picked up a library book titled The Monograph, which is a bio with images from Brassai.

Every once in a while you pick up a treasure that simply knocks the ball out of the park! Shocked

Interesting, in that I heard only vague references before in my life. I am priveleged to see his outstanding imagery.

http://www.allposters.com/gallery.asp?aid=85097&apnum=377560&LinkTypeID=1&PosterTypeID=1&DestType=7&Referrer%20=
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/brassai.html[/i]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is one of my favourite photographers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

You know, when I put up this post, I had already thought to myself,
"I'll bet anything, that Orio knows about this artist and photographer,
and knows his work very well." Smile

Hey Orio! Since I know that your life was filled with artists
(you lucky dog!), could you refer me to any other
photographers and/or artists whom you have come to
greatly admire?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Orio wrote:

You know, when I put up this post, I had already thought to myself,
"I'll bet anything, that Orio knows about this artist and photographer,
and knows his work very well." Smile

Hey Orio! Since I know that your life was filled with artists
(you lucky dog!), could you refer me to any other
photographers and/or artists whom you have come to
greatly admire?

As for photographers, I can name some, many of them have been active in the first half of the XX century, for whatever reason:

- Eugène Atget
- Brassai
- Leni Riefenstahl
- Henry Cartier-Bresson
- Izis
- Wim Wenders

and I am surely forgetting some.

I have also been influenced by the cinematographers of motion pictures.
The black and white photography of many Ingmar Bergman films is something I adore. Same for Murnau films. Same for Welles films.

As for other artists, the list would be too long I think. Some names in casual order: Raffaello, Tiziano, Caravaggio, of course Leonardo and in general most of the Italian painters that range from the Middle Ages to the Renaissance, and in recent times, Modigliani; amongst the Dutch and Flemish Rembrandt, Vermeer, the landscapists of the XVII century such as Ruysdael; amongst the French, Lorraine, Degas, Gauguin, Redon, Cézanne; amongst the German Franz Marc and Otto Mueller. Amongst the Spanish (or should I say Catalan in this case) the architect Gaudì. Plus various others.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPLENDID! Thank you VERY much, Orio!

This will give me much fodder for perusing a no-doubt magnificent group of artists. I plan to "google" each one of them!