Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pre-set 50mm?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Pre-set 50mm? Reply with quote

I've been thinking about getting a pre-set standard lens in M42 but there don't seem to be many to choose from. So far I've found only the Volna-9 and Industar-61. How do these compare and are there any others?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Volna-9 is all time favourite for Orio, must be one of the best lens.
Takumar macro 4/50 also available in pre-set, Biotar 2/58mm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

58mm Biotars should be among the most common (and 50mm Tessars if you don't mind a slower lens) - they were in production for a number of years before automatic diaphragms were invented. Most other M42 cameras came out after the advent of auto diaphragms, so a preset 50mm never happened for them. Biggest exception there would be the Zenit Helios....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One 45mm preset lens is available in Hexatar München 45mm f2.8 brand and not many results available.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I ask why preset? Just because they tend to have more blades?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed I'd forgotten about the Helios 44-2 - I already have one! Thanks Rick. I'll look out for Tessars, I remember Orio's impressive pics with the 3.5/50.

I like the idea of a 45mm lens so the Hexatar looks interesting, thanks Ballu. It's a new one to me, I'll keep my eye out for one.

Marc, no I wasn't thinking about the number of blades, although that's a bonus. There's a couple of reasons. In Av mode on the DSLR and AE cameras, because the camera automatically adjusts shutter speed to control the exposure, the actual f-stop values are unimportant and the aperture dial becomes more of a DOF control. I think the smooth stop-down ring is much nicer to use for this than an aperture dial with click stops. The other reason is a boring story about building an exposure tester and sensitivity of meter needles, but it's hush-hush top secret at the moment! Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter:

Here you can find a comparison with samples:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~tomtiger/russcam/volnaindus.html

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the Primoplan 1.9/58 Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Peter
there are many preset lenses in 50mm lenght

- Volna 9
- Helios-44-x
- Tessar 2.8/50
- Biotar 2/58
and others such as Meyer lenses etc.

Volna is probably the better one, it costs more than the others mentioned though. If you don't care much for macro, I guess a Helios-44 would let you save some money and still give good quality.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well just to be a little different from the crowd you can always do some lens manipulation. If you take apart the lens and take out the click stops (usually controlled by tiny chrome balls) than you have an unlimited smooth motion across the f-stop range. You just have to keep the switch on manual or find some way to keep the pin down if there is no switch.

Though the system is not very refined since the f-stop ring can move fairly easily you can find a heavier grease to dampen that movement. Just an idea...

~Marc