Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron Nestar 400/6.9 nesting lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject: Tamron Nestar 400/6.9 nesting lens Reply with quote

This is yet another early 1960's novelty lens from Tamron. The "Nestar" is a collapsing or nesting lens, that can be shortened by unscrewing the back half and pushing it into the front half.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.tamron.co.jp/data/old-lens/olm400f6_9telescopic.htm

This does reduce the length of the thing by almost 1/2, which helps fit the thing into a small camera bag, or an overcoat pocket perhaps. There have been several lens makers (Komura and Nikon, among others) that have attempted to make long lenses more manageable, but the usual solution is just to unscrew them into several pieces. This one keeps the whole thing as one piece. A neat trick. Also neat is that the thing includes a tripod mount placed flush on the barrel, the first I have seen.

Otherwise its a very conventional preset T-mount telephoto of the period, probably the same as the other, fixed, Tamron 400/6.9. The fit and finish is perhaps not as good as the earliest Tamrons, the engraving is very shallow and the finish is semi-flat, not deep gloss enamel. The finish looks much like that of the historic 95-205 zoom. I think this was meant to be sold cheaply.

Tamron made quite a few of these types of gadget for the consumer market - the first consumer zoom, cheap long telephotos, duo-lenses with matched multipliers, extra-long zooms, etc. as this sort of novelty appealed to the amateur.

Optically, this is a perfectly usable lens with more than enough sharpness and contrast to give good results for anyone who can master a manual 400mm. Even if it did make consumer novelties, Tamrons lenses were still respectable.

It does have an annoying tendency to unscrew while focusing, as mine has a rather stiff helical. Minimum focus is typical of its type and period at 30ft/9m, which is a bit long.

The bird -

crop -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very, very nice lens. Congratulations. I remeber when I saw it at the magazine of the 60' - 70'. In my country nobody seld this beauty when new nor today Sad

Wanderfull pics, especially N° 1 and 2. Impressive the esmerald green eyes in the N° 6 !!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible for you with ANY lens, to produce BAD pictures - guess NOT!!!

Cheers,

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus Luis is the "Midas" of lenses.
All he touches turns to gold.
He just can't help himself.

It looks like you guys still have nice weather down there.
Here in northern Washington it's violently stormy. Sad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis
The Cormorant shot is gorgeous, such detail for a black feathered bird. This 400mm is very decent lens.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this lens from LuiseAllegria as his present Shocked just arrived today! Many , many thanks!!!

http://forum.mflenses.com/sf-zoo-in-winter-t13332,highlight,tamron+400.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-nestar-400-6-9-nesting-lens-t12332,highlight,tamron+400.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Attila,

You are welcome, and may it work well for you !

Luis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will not reach your level , but I will try! Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not been out with my copy yet (which I've somehow managed to seize the collapsing threads on, doh!), but my quick and dirty tests out of the window show this to be my best 400mm prime, better than my old Hanimex Tokina made 400/5.6, the newer Soligor Tokina made 400/6.3 (also sold as a T4) and the newer Soligor Kino made 400/6.3. The minimum focusing distance, while stated at 9m, is actually slightly less too! The best feature those is the almost complete lack of CA Shocked