Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Steinheil Tele-Quinar 200/4.5 - notes on Steinheil mounts
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Steinheil Tele-Quinar 200/4.5 - notes on Steinheil mounts Reply with quote

I picked this up rather cheap, perhaps because it came in Exakta mount and its missing its dedicated lens hood, or maybe because the seller mispelled "Steinheil" as "Steinhell" -

The hood is easily fixed, as the filter threads on this are Series VII, or almost. The mount is more interesting. I could have mounted it using my Exakta->PK arrangements, but I have a better solution. I had heard that Steinheil lens mounts for its preset lenses were compatible, and could be switched around.

I have a Steinheil Culminar 135/4.5 in M42. After removing the setscrews, the mount unscrews, and they indeed can be screwed on the other lens - the only problem is that you will have to be certain to put the setscrews back in properly so the lens is right side up. So if you have Steinheils and find another one in some odd mount, don't despair.

As for the lens - well, its just plain lovely, like Steinheils usually are. The construction and finish are first rate, all satin-finish nickel-brass and impeccably machined. The tripod mount is not very useful as it doesn't rotate, which makes it a problem on M42 mounts. But that was a common fault in those days.

The lens focuses down to 7 feet/2 m, which is very good for a 200mm prime, this makes this a very useful flower lens. Performance is also good even wide-open, I have no complaints, though this is not quite the sharpest 200mm I've tried - I have a Tamron and a Tokina preset that would probably beat it, but I have little interest in such tests. It did seem harder to nail focus with this today than some others, I don't know why. It could just be me.

Not quite focused, but I like the color -

The bird -

crop -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis

That is a wow lens. I have a couple of Steinheils (old ones in M42 mounts) and I really love them. This is a very convincing set of exemplars

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lens and photos. I think #9 is my old philosophy professor. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis, as always, greats pics.

Not so sharp? It's enough for me.

Bob
your old philosophy professor, is my mother-in-law ?

Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can confirm that this process works with the 2.8/135 tele quinar also and I love it. My tripod mount is about 1/3 of a turn off center though, making it unuseable. I now have a 200 on the way and plan to do the same. The only problem with these beauties is all the attention they get you on the street. People who aren't into photography will stare, let alone your usual auto focus dslr user.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So excellent! congrats!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again marvelous photos, Leuis.

No.8 has interesting background, what are they?
(Houses in a long shot, hill in the back.)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Koji,

This is a shot looking South-East from near the South edge of San Francisco. The houses in the sun are in the Excelsior district, south of Mission Street.

The houses going up the hill are on the slope of Mt. San Bruno, they are actually outside the municipality of San Francisco, in the town of Brisbane I think.