Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica GSN purchase
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Yashica GSN purchase Reply with quote

After read in the forum about the majestic cam Yashica, I bought it at $ 31 incl ship (into mercosur ship is nothing), some expensive for RF cam.

In a week I will have it. I can't buy any this month (and the next too). But the guys said a lot about yashica G that I couldn't do other thing that buy it.

In a week, pics.

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's seeem to me that purchased a p&s "de luxe" with an excelent lens.

I imagine that no form to know the shutter vel. that the cam will use, and then I never can change it.

Is it right? Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The threshold towards "under" is 1/30s, the one towards "over" is 1/500s - so you can usually work out the current exposure time counting the stops from one threshold.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
The threshold towards "under" is 1/30s, the one towards "over" is 1/500s - so you can usually work out the current exposure time counting the stops from one threshold.

thanks you, very much.

The cam will come the next week. Have I the possibility to press the shutter release but. and stop the vel. and, after, refocus and shot (with the old meter read)? Have to look for this in the cam when arrive?

Thanks, again. Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, it does not have any exposure lock. On the other hand (and presumably making it impossible), it has dynamic exposure metering - i.e. it will react to lighting changes during exposure, which along with a >30s time maximum makes it a night shot camera with almost OM2n qualities.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, lion student, stud lion, I mean, Rino! Wink The spell is woven... Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
makes it a night shot camera .

I wan to to do this. Thanks.

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Congrats, lion student, stud lion, I mean, Rino! Wink The spell is woven... Smile

Thanks, katastrofe Very Happy

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:

Thanks, katastrofe Very Happy

Rino.

Exactly. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, I feel I need to get one too.... Wink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prometheus wrote:
Congratulations, I feel I need to get one too.... Wink

Thanks Mattias.

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most recent one I got seems to work although the meter seems a bit erratic when it wants to work or not.

Still have to take it apart and give the glass a cleaning and some new light seals...

Has anyone tried these? Click here to see on Ebay I'll split a pair with someone! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan, make your own, go to hardware store. I think it's 1/2" plastic tubing
and a spring. I have valve springs in my shop that fit, but the hardware
store has springs, too, just ask. On the tubing, just measure diameter of
new battery and get corresponding tubing (inside diameter).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent advise Bill.
Ryan just take the battery to the HW store to test size.
I use clear 5/8"OD x 1/2"ID pvc tubing and a 1" tapered spring.
Total cost is less than $1 for two adapters.
I tiny advise. Powder the ouside of the battery with talk/chalk before inserting into the hose.
It will make life easier when changing the battery (two or three years from now if you use a lithium).

Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have a battery wrapped in some of that thin packing foam that comes on rolls, with a spring I found in the basement.

I'm not sure if it's something with the shutter button, but the meter works here and there...not every time. If I shake the cam a little, it usually works. Those ebay adapters would be a very elegant/more consistent solution (at least I hope so).

Either way...the battery was still the most expensive part of the setup Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a seller that's selling one with the following description. Should I pass or is this worth a try.

"Some wear from use and dirt, no broken or damaged buttons or levers seen. Some corrosion and leakage in the battery compartment. Uses 35mm film, one 5.6V mercury camera battery. Shutter blades appear to be stuck and do not open, camera will advance and make a click when release is pressed, but the blades do not move. Sold As-Is."

Please advise.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a bit more money you can buy tested ones, if you like challenge and price enough low you can take a risk.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a fully running one let me know.
I have some that are completely rebuilt or if you want to save a few bucks. I have some that are tested for Meter/shutter but need light seals and CLA of all systems.
The camera is very popular on ebay by estate sale resellers. There is a lot of shit as a result.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad. This is not regular GSN or GTN, but for the GL model with ASA of 1600. Hence my interest. Thanks Attila, I guess if price is low enough, I will give it a try despite not really ready for the challenge Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Careful!
I have 3 GL's and could only get one running Sad
Not the best of the bunch that is for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy. After our last transaction, I felt so bad, to a certain point, I felt I had cheated you. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad You are too nice a person, that I am afraid my GAS might get the better of me.

I am really hoping that I will get the GX as I have mentioned in the different thread. The seller, a photography student, has been very busy lately. The one I am asking now is the GL model which has not been discussed as much on the web.

Last edited by bawang on Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy....you beat me to my post. I will 'try' to pass on this one than.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will find "The One".
It is excellent that you are looking at the Electros.
They really do deliver! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
You will find "The One".
It is excellent that you are looking at the Electros.
They really do deliver! Very Happy

So do most pizza places, but that's another story in another time...

So what IS the holy grail of the Electros? Curious to hear your opinion
of which model is Best in Show. Not counting the CC model, BTW.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
.... Not counting the CC model, BTW.

Why not? Is it because of the 1.8/35mm?

Off-track --- it's 11:03 EST, I can now go to sleep.....CNN just projected Obama elected President and they are celebrating in Chicago.