Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leatherette.... the year end comes soon!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Leatherette.... the year end comes soon! Reply with quote

Hi colleagues!

As you know most of second hand cameras have some trouble with the leatherette covering. In the past it was made up of some paper derivative, so it supports aging not very well.

I use to recycle old agendas (peeling off the leatherette) and keep a stock for fixing the small rangefinders I like to repair.

There is one nice time in the year where lots of agendas are dropped into the wastebaskets: Year end.

Other opportunities are when people is relocated inside the office. That is happening in my office these days. People use to cleanup the desks when packing and throw everything they have been collecting for years. Just to avoid packing an additional box.

So I've got a lot of old agendas that have filled my leatherette stock and needs. In several colours and sizes. From a standard agenda, you can replace about two or three camera's leatherette.

A round cutter is very useful to cutout the borders.

Keep an eye on the baskets!.

Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Great idea!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to use that bright red are you??? Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
You're going to use that bright red are you??? Shocked

Peter,

I already did it Smile

Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it looks a "rapper" camera cool really!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Thanks Attila, Smile

At that time it was the only leatherette I had handy...
Now probably I would put something more classic, like lizzard or zebra skin Wink

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Attila wrote:

Thanks Attila, Smile

At that time it was the only leatherette I had handy...
Now probably I would put something more classic, like lizzard or zebra skin Wink

Jes.

Laughing Laughing even better

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

My MX is begging to be done in a darker red (like Indian Red from cameraleather).

What do you use to hold the leatherette on the camera?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan s wrote:
Shocked

My MX is begging to be done in a darker red (like Indian Red from cameraleather).

What do you use to hold the leatherette on the camera?

Epoxy glue (UHU brand). Not sure if it's the best one for this.

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan, here's an interesting discussion form the Camera Repair Forum
http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/forum/messages/3/9800.html?1211220277

It's difficult to recommend a brand name as they're different over there to here. You need to be able to peel the leather off again fairly easily, so a latex type adhesive is best, as it doesn't become too hard. Epoxy glue sounds too strong to me, and I've also been recommended white PVA glue (woodworking glue) but I've never used it as this also hardens. I've found a perfect glue here in our local village shop - Bostik All Purpose Non-Solvent Adhesive - it's a glue for children!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, thanks Peter. I know my mom has various craft-type glues sitting around, even the Alene's mentioned in the link you provided. It seems like wood glue would make the leather more "brittle" like aged leather...although, I'm not sure since I (obviously) haven't done the procedure.

Between my mom's craft stuff and my dad's woodworking/handyman adhesives stashes, there has to be something in their house that would do the job Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I've found a perfect glue here in our local village shop - Bostik All Purpose Non-Solvent Adhesive - it's a glue for children!

Hi Peter, have you tried it already to glue the leatherette to the camera's metal body?.
Yesterday a took a look to the Praktica VLC3. I glued the covering with UHU. It's not really leatherette but a thick flexible plastic element. And to my surprise, it started to peel of by itsef i the corners. So I'm really interested in having an alternative that sticks better to metal...

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
peterqd wrote:
I've found a perfect glue here in our local village shop - Bostik All Purpose Non-Solvent Adhesive - it's a glue for children!

Hi Peter, have you tried it already to glue the leatherette to the camera's metal body?.
Yesterday a took a look to the Praktica VLC3. I glued the covering with UHU. It's not really leatherette but a thick flexible plastic element. And to my surprise, it started to peel of by itsef i the corners. So I'm really interested in having an alternative that sticks better to metal...

Jes.

Yes, on two cameras, and I also mended the Minolta ER case with it. It's certainly the best I've tried so far.

You can use it like simple kids' PVA white glue, or like a contact adhesive, where you smear it thinly on both surfaces and allow it to almost dry before joining the surfaces. And being water-soluble, you can wipe it off with a damp cloth before it cures.

Here it is from an online seller, but strangely I can't find it on the Bostik website:
http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/sp-44-6888-11779-bostik-all-purpose-solvent-free-adhesive-20ml.asp?iCategoryID1=6888
I can get you a tube in our local shop if you can wait for the post. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

Yes, on two cameras, and I also mended the Minolta ER case with it. It's certainly the best I've tried so far.

You can use it like simple kids' PVA white glue, or like a contact adhesive, where you smear it thinly on both surfaces and allow it to almost dry before joining the surfaces. And being water-soluble, you can wipe it off with a damp cloth before it cures.

Here it is from an online seller, but strangely I can't find it on the Bostik website:
http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/sp-44-6888-11779-bostik-all-purpose-solvent-free-adhesive-20ml.asp?iCategoryID1=6888
I can get you a tube in our local shop if you can wait for the post. Wink

Hi Peter, thanks a lot!.
I've got a couple of doubts/questions:

1. It's still water soluble after cure?. (I suppose it is not...)
2. Have you tried to peel it off after some time?. (just to know how easy will be removing the leatherette in the future).
3. I love the "like contact cement" trick... Do you apply some pressure for a while, after sticking the two sides togheter?.

Kind regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jes. No, it's not water soluble after it had dried. I don't know about the pressure - the lining in the front of the Minolta ER case has stuck fine without it, but I guess it would help. I just tried peeling the leatherette on the Praktica and it peeled beuatifully, just like the original glue.