Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax IIIa w/opton 1.5/50mm sonnar Open Thread
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Contax IIIa w/opton 1.5/50mm sonnar Open Thread Reply with quote

I forgot about this roll.
Today I stumbled on this disk of scans.
Actually I think the shop did OK.

Here is the first color roll that I pushed thru the Contax IIIa and 1.5/50 sonnar.
The results from this 60years old gem are just super.
The shots are just snapshots. I hope to do better.
Hopefully we will see more from others with this lens.
I found little of the focus shift trouble we chattered about in other threads.
I used sunny 16 to meter these shots and remember well that I could not shoot the lens wide open.
That is likely the reason the focus shift did not surface.
BTW I left some crappy ones in here also. Including a misfire into some hair Rolling Eyes. Even bad Zeiss shots are worth looking at Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty amazing! Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice samples Andy. I have not had the time to test mine (=your gift) yet Embarassed
It looks like we have to take care of flares with this lens. That was quite to be expected. Aside from that, it looks like the lens renders very well the middle tones. Don't know if this depends from the available light you had that day, or if it's a characteristic of the lens. I think this makes of it probably a great portrait lens, and the rendering of skin tones in your photo seems to show that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys
These are not really very artistic shots to look at.
The lens does show good potential and I wanted to get a thread going.
Orio you are correct about the flare. I did use a hood but it was a really shallow one for a wider lens.
It is not the worst with flare but, care is required
A lovely lens to hold in the hands in my opinion. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice samples Andy.

I recently lost an auction for two of these, not because my bid was low, but somehow my bid did not go through. It was a live auction where you have to sign up and be approved for proxy bid which I did. Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked WOW!
What a deal!
I'm sorry you missed it Khidhir.
next time aye? Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... a big WOW.

There is a 21% buyer premium for this auction though, the end bid would cost seller $181.50. Had my bid gone through, it would probably be way higher than that.

As you said....next time ay!