Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Slide + PS to B&W?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Slide + PS to B&W? Reply with quote

I found that is better take pics in slide and scanner them and after this in photoshop convert to B&W, than take directly in B&W and after scan.

It's seem to me or it's OK?

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean that scanned slide converted in B&W into PS is better than scanned B&W film?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Rino uses greyscale (256 levels of grey) to scan the B&W, then of course colour film is better because it is usually scanned at 32 or 48 bit.

If he scans B&W film with colour settings, then there should be no difference, except perhaps that B&W has a wider pose latitude than colour film and also, correspondingly, more grain.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have absolutely no intention to be polemic. Is just that maybe I didn't understand exactly the question.

I converted in B&W some Provia slides and the results were very good, not better than real B&W film, just different. Yep grain is the main difference, but also the tonal transitions, the contrast etc...

If you want I can post here some examples.

Scanning B&W is harder instead, you can't use ICE (I don't use it at all anymore, too much time consuming for the overall poor results it delivers anyway) and you need to know the scanning program you use pretty well to get consistent results (just like every negative, positive slides are easier to scan by far).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:
If you want I can post here some examples.

Yeeeess!!

As Napoleon said, the ignorance must be fight with examples. So I need them.

Thanks, very much.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have good luck with scanning black and white transparencies. I'll find a few and post them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, these are from Provia 100 (if I remember correctly) scanned then converted in B&W in PS:

This is Fujifilm Neopan 100 Acros, original B&W film, same lens (flek 50) so you can see the differences:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, very illustrative. I like all, especially the 2nd.

It has an extensive tonal range (@ zona 2 to @ zone 7/Cool, excelent detail with interesant composition.

As example, I prefer the slide converted.

Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Across does really well with scanning.
These are on what size frame originally?
You say Flek 50 so is it on the P6?
I don't have any B+W neg scans as clean as the last shot from 35mm.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
The Across does really well with scanning.
These are on what size frame originally?
You say Flek 50 so is it on the P6?
I don't have any B+W neg scans as clean as the last shot from 35mm.

They're all coming from the Pentacon Six.

I must admit that I tried also the Hassy 500CM, the Rollei 6006 and the Mamiya RB and I think that just the latter is something I'd like to really own, the others aren't really that better than a good working Pentacon Six. You have some advantages with lens shutters because you can try to achieve slower times handheld and no limit flash synch, while having more than one backs is as expensive as buying another P six body, so no real advantage there.

The lens system is not that better despite the many pixel peeping, the photographer makes the difference.

Neopan 100 Acros is very fine grained but it's harder to scan than tMax or Ilford D100.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I picked up some accross it will be the first film I push thrue the ZI
Alessandro what scanner do you use?
Do you mind giving a quick tute on how you scann the accross as compared to Tmax?

I have the V700 and honestly it has not seen use since it first arrived.
The disapointment with scanning all my old Tmax rolls moved me to play with my DSLR more and wait on all that scanning.
I have dozens of rolls from the summer to develop. It is winter now and that will be under way.
I hope you don't mind to share your scanning sectrets Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use an Epson V700 but I don't have any scanner secrets!

First of all don't use Epson program to scan. It's rubbish for photographic material.

I use Silverfast because I found out that FOR ME it's the perfect mix between results and complexity and I like its preview.

Other people love Vuescan, I tried it but I found out very difficult to tame. Again, maybe it's me and you'll love it. Who knows?

Let me know which scanning program you use and I can give you some hints.