Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tessar 50mm alu reassembly
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for all these clear and understandable instructions.
Some time ago I got a 50mm 2.8 Tessar Exakta mount from Carsten, as a part of a Exakta deal. It was unassembled.

Since then it has been my favourite puzzle.

Unfortunately I've been unable to set it up again. The parts of my Tessar seem to be slightly different:

What do you think about it?.

I'd be really happy if I could make it work again.

Thanks in advance.

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

Let's call those three separate parts in the picture from left to right 1, 2 and 3.

It seems to me that the reassembly procedure would be:

• Remove the largest of the rings around the rear element (in part 3); it should simply screw off.

• Put part 2 on part 3 (there should be some peg or such to indicate the correct position where it cannot rotate).

• Remove the focus limiter from part 1 (it should be a large screw on the outside).

• Turn the focusing ring clockwise as deep as it will go (it will eventually get stuck; don't try to force it to continue!). Then turn it back so that you pass infinity focus once, and keep turning back until the focus mark is at the minimum focus distance.

• Put the parts 2 & 3 (combined earlier) on the table with the front element down. Now aim part 1 so that when you look through the mount hole, the peg inside part 1 is a just a bit clockwise of the slot in part 2 (the focusing helicoid) into which it must go. Hold on to the focusing ring to maintain the focus position we set earlier and turn the entire part 1 counter-clockwise to get it onto a thread in the helicoid. This may take a couple of attempts; if it goes too far counter-clockwise, try again from a more clockwise position—the idea is that the peg should be clockwise of the slot when the threads engage. Once you get it right, you should be able to exactly align the peg with target slot by only a very slight turn of the entire part 1 (don't allow the focus ring to move separately!).

• Now press down slightly to hold part 3 firm against the table to keep it from rotating, and use your off-hand to hold still the rearmost part (lower half of part 1, i.e. where the mount is). With your other hand turn the focusing ring to screw the lens all the way in—the peg should sink right into the target slot if you aligned it right in the previous step. If not, you need to go back to the previous step and try again (this may take a couple of attempts).

Now be very careful not to unscrew accidentally by focusing closer than the minimum focus distance!

• Once you get this far, test infinity focus on the camera by positioning the focus mark at infinity (it will probably go past infinity if you try, but don't let it). If you focus beyond infinity, you may want to go back three steps and when you turn back the focusing ring, go past the infinity focus mark one more time than on the previous attempt, and then reassemble again. (After the first attempt this may sound daunting enough to leave it as it is, but once you get the idea it's actually quite easy.)

• Once you have sufficient infinity focus accuracy, put the focus somewhere inside the normally allowed range and restore the focus limiter screw.

• Restore the ring around the rear element.

• Verify that you can focus to the minimum focus distance. If the lens falls off the focusing helicoid when you try, disassemble everything and try to find a different thread when you align the focusing helicoid.

Last edited by Arkku on Tue May 18, 2010 10:58 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot!.
I'll try it and take pictures during the process... Smile

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you leave your green filter on Jes? Wink

Good luck with the lens.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's go step by step:

Let's call those three separate parts in the picture from left to right 1, 2 and 3.

It seems to me that the reassembly procedure would be:

• Remove the largest of the rings around the rear element (in part 3); it should simply screw off.

• Put part 2 on part 3 (there should be some peg or such to indicate the correct position where it cannot rotate).

• Remove the focus limiter from part 1 (it should be a large screw on the outside).

I see no outside screws. Inside there are two holes, one of them holds a screw that once removed allows for turning the base:

• Turn the focusing ring clockwise as deep as it will go (it will eventually get stuck; don't try to force it to continue!).

• Then turn it back so that you pass infinity focus once, and keep turning back the focus mark is at the minimum focus distance.

• Put the parts 2 & 3 (combined earlier) on the table with the front element down. Now aim part 1 so that when you look through the mount hole, the peg inside part 1 is a just a bit clockwise of the slot in part 3 (the focusing helicoid) into which it must go. Hold on to the focusing ring to maintain the focus position we set earlier and turn the entire part 1 counter-clockwise to get it onto a thread in part 2 (the focusing helicoid). This may take a couple of attempts; if it goes too far counter-clockwise, try again from a more clockwise position—the idea is that the peg should be clockwise of the slot when the threads engage. Once you get it right, you should be able to exactly align the peg with target slot by only a very slight turn of the entire part 1 (don't allow the focus ring to move separately!).

That's where I'm stuck now. I get to put the peg just clockwise but no progress from here is possible, it gets somewhat locked. To make the peg fit the thread I have to move only the focusing ring, not the whole ensemble...

Well, too tired today. I'll keep trying tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Regards.
Jes.

Last edited by Jesito on Tue May 18, 2010 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Did you leave your green filter on Jes? Wink

Good luck with the lens.

No, I'm afraid it was the wrong white balance... Or should I say the ri¡ght green balance? Wink

Thanks, Peter. A difficult quest by now Smile

Regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

I see no outside screws. Inside there are two holes, one of them holds a screw that once removed allows for turning the base:

Looks like it does the right thing; it's on the outside in the M42 version that I have. However, as you will not be able to put it back from the outside, this means that you need to replace it before you continue assembly:

Jesito wrote:

Once you get it right, you should be able to exactly align the peg with target slot by only a very slight turn of the entire part 1 (don't allow the focus ring to move separately!).

That's where I'm stuck now. I get to put the peg just clockwise but no progress from here is possible, it gets somewhat locked. To make the peg fit the thread I have to move only the focusing ring, not the whole ensemble...

Try to do a slight adjustment with the focusing ring to align the peg, maybe it will work.

Could also be that this part of the process differs, as the focus limiter is on the inside of the lens.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thanks to all of you guys!
With some help of the postings here, i was able to reassemble my All Tessar.

After some tries i was able to reassemble the 3 big parts within seconds.
Then i needed some more tries to adjust the focus on infinity.

Some hints:
- Screw the focus ring into the mount ring
- Screw back passing the infinity mark just one time
- Continue with screwing back and align the focus mark on infinity (not passing it second time)
- Follow the instructions in this thread to assemble the focus ring+mount ring with the remaining third part of the lens, aligning the peg with the help of the mount ring
- When you got it, turn the focus ring towards infinity, the focus will be correct if the focus mark stops just a bit beyond infinity mark
- Screw in the focus limiter while having the focus mark somewhere between infinity and shortest focusing distance

Maybe this helps Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much to the helpful people here. With your help I managed to put my Contax F M42 version of the Tessar back together perfectly.

At first it seemed more difficult than Rubick's cube, but with these instructions and some practice I can confirm that it's actually just a matter of seconds once you get the hang of it.

So don't get discouraged if you don't manage to solve the puzzle instantly. It will take some trial and error, but with some patience you will eventually get there.

Here are a few additional hints:

After screwing the focus ring all the way into the mount ring, screw back almost one full turn - past the minimum focusing, but not past the feet/m or infinity mark the second time - about 1cm right to the feet/m worked best for me. Yours may be slightly different, so you will need to choose a different starting point if your infinity focus is off.

I set a small aperture like f/16 before assembly to get the aperture lever out of the way. I then aligned the big latch to the big hole in the other part.

When putting all the pieces together I wrapped my right hand around it and used the index and ring finger to fix the upper and lower part while turning the focus ring in the middle with your left hand. Some nodding is necessary to get a perfect fit.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When A is put on C and B screwed on A+C, how does that hold in place as C isn't screwed on A?
I suddenly can't screw B1 and B1 together all the way. It was working well till an hour ago and now it just stops at one point and is very hard to turn. Should I lubricate it? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one question: is that screw also responsible for holding the lens together or is it just to prevent to go "beyond" focusing
I have one of these tessars and successfully reassembled it but it keeps falling apart, and the screw is missing...

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasan and Jieffe

A Big Thank You!!!!

literally just registered here so I could shout your praises to the high heavens! Razz My little tasser is all happy chappy together again!

Just for the record, I re-lubed it with "Tri-Flow" yes, its a bicycle chain lube... It didn't work. The grease needs to be thinker. Everyone else has been warned Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikonD wrote:
one question: is that screw also responsible for holding the lens together or is it just to prevent to go "beyond" focusing
I have one of these tessars and successfully reassembled it but it keeps falling apart, and the screw is missing...

Get on the carpet and mind yourself that screw! It indeed stops the whole lens from screwing itself apart. Razz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Hassan and others who contributed to this post I was able to lubricate and reassemble my Tessar
with your help. Smile

Last edited by uddhava on Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this maneuver today, with my lens exactly the same as yours above here. Finally I managed to re-assemble it but the part C keeps falling off, it isn't attached to anything. I don't have a clue to how to fix this and I'd appreciate some input here!
Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheffalo wrote:
I tried this maneuver today, with my lens exactly the same as yours above here. Finally I managed to re-assemble it but the part C keeps falling off, it isn't attached to anything. I don't have a clue to how to fix this and I'd appreciate some input here!
Thank you!

Dear Cheffalo,

sorry, noticed your request only just.

If you have already followed my steps, at the beginning of this thread,
plus the very good description by JESITO, and still can't put them together,
please share some photos of the parts for us, to see at which point/status you got caught.

Thanks!

Kind regards
Hasan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasan wrote:
Cheffalo wrote:
Thank you!

Dear Cheffalo,

sorry, noticed your request only just.

If you have already followed my steps, at the beginning of this thread,
plus the very good description by JESITO, and still can't put them together,
please share some photos of the parts for us, to see at which point/status you got caught.

Thanks!

Kind regards
Hasan

Thank you, Hasan!
Mine looks more like the one in the first example, rather than the one from Jesito.
I've tried your maneuver many many times but there's nothing to keep the part C in the assembled (which the procedure will lead to) AB. Sometimes the assembly will be correct, as in the focus and aperture will work as it should, but the C part always fall out of the AB. Even if I mount the stop screw.
I've had my product developing engineer brother in law to take a look at it but he's as puzzled as I am.