Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lenses on Holiday
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Lenses on Holiday Reply with quote

What lenses are essentially in your travel bag ?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take with you only one lens to take pictures along the road, when you are here you will use mine Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile best travel bag ever Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevertheless not an easy question. Which single lens? A zoom? A prime? Wide? Wider? Or portrait? Difficult decisions to make for Attila... Wink

Michael

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to take only one lens, it would be my Distagon 1.4/35. Wide enough to make landscapes, not too wide so also portraits are possible, focusing close enough (29mm) to be quasi-macro, and just as fast as a very fast 50mm., so good for twilight shots hand-held.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a couple of lenses ok to bring. I am thinking on Olympus OM 50mm f1.4, Tamron SP 70-210mm f/3.5 , Tamron SP 300mm f/5.6 or really don't know.In last weekend I tested Kiron 28-210mm as a holiday lens, but to heavy and not performed well on E-1. It was great on Nikon D50.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunatly not a manual lens for me.

I take a Tamron 28-200mm XR. (although now that I have it, I might take the Pentax-A 50mm f1.7 for low light situations too)

its all about keeping it compact for me. I take 2 backpacks, 1 big one (on my back) for just about everything, and a smaller one (up front) with papers, camera and essential stuff. So can't spare much space, so I take a superzoom...not the best quality, but it does the trick.

Tom

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

If I use digital with AF: 18-55 ans 80-320 all Pentax.

If I use manual lenses (no matter if it is with a digital or film body) then a 35mm, a 135mm and a 50/58mm (is depends if it is Pentacon or Helios) or a 85mm (The Jupiter!) which I use less (when it replaces the 50mm or the 135 mm lens).

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have plenty of place I will go with car , but even if I have plenty of place need to organize and bring what is really need. After this bad experience with super zoom I will not bring.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Lenses that are always, really always in my bag are two AF-lenses (Sigma 17-70 and Tokina 12-24), my Jupiter-9 and my Peleng, so 4 lenses.

Plus one each of these groups:

28mm: Kiron 2./28, Vivitar 2.5/28 or Vivitar 2.8/28
35mm: MIR-1B, Takumar 3.5/35 or Porst 1.8/35
50mm: Revuenon 1.4/55, Pentax 1.7/50, Mamiya 1.8/50 or a Helios-44
135mm: Nikkor QC 3.5/135, Jupiter-37, Weltblick 3.5/135, CZJ Sonnar 4/135 1Q or Pentacon auto 2.8/135
Tele: Telear-N 3.5/200, Pentacon 4/200 or a tele zoom lens
(then: Soligor MC 3.5/70-220 Macro, Tamron SP 3.8-5.4/60-300 or Soligor C/D 3.8-5.3/35-200 MC or Tamron SP 3.5/70-210 CF Macro)
Sometimes also the Meyer Trioplan 2.8/100 or the Zenitar 2.8/16, depending on what I expect to shoot.

So, you see, I often have about 10 lenses in my backpack (plus a Fed-3b with two lenses or a Minolta Hi-Matic).

On a longer holiday trip (preferably by car) I bring another bag as well with some more lenses... Wink

I just can't decide if I know I will be away longer than a week...

P.S.: I just see that this means, I have two AF- and about 25 MF-lenses I would never sell. The others are kind of "disposable"... Wink

Last edited by LucisPictor on Wed May 30, 2007 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Lenses that are always, really always in my bag are

collecting fungus? Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a longer trip my usual selection is: VPK Meniscus, Radionar 2.9/50 and Radionar 4.5/105. On one-day trips I may also use other lenses, but only one or two. However, I usually have the Radionar 2.9/50 with me at all times as it is very small and light.

Veijo

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
Lenses that are always, really always in my bag are

collecting fungus? Wink

OK, Peter, u got me!

No, of course not! You know my cabinet, don't you?
I meant, always when I am "on tour". Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you have a great time in Italy Attila. Whatever gear you take, make sure you have enough to take plenty of pictures for us all to see!

I'm going on holiday on Friday for a week too, but only about 3? hour drive. Besides the 400D I am taking a Spotmatic for B&W and the ME Super for colour slide film.

As for lenses, the only AF will be the 18-55 AF kit lens to cover for ultra-wide situations. I'm still considering the MF lenses. I have some new ones to try out and I want to do some tests:

35mm Mir-24 f/2 v Flek f/2.4
50mm Pentacon f/1.8 v ex-yellowed S-Tak f/1.4 (on the Spottie)
135mm Jupiter-37A f/3.5 v Meyer Orestor f/2.8

I'll definitely be taking 3 Tamron zooms:
35-80mm 01A (with M42 mount)
60-300mm 23A (M42)
80-210mm 103A (K)

If I was carrying everything I think I'd probably just take the AF kit lens (very light) and one or two of the zooms.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
...35mm Mir-24 f/2...

Wow! This is said to be a great lens. Congratulations, Peter!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter you have a very important comment, not a good idea to bring the best and rare lenses to a trip. Fungus, package loss everything might be happen. Carsten, package is close to me and yours too. I have only one AF kit lens for wide angle photography I simple love to shoot with MF lenses. Hopefully both of us will have nice holiday and lots of light to take excellent shoots. I would lot of animals around me I guess Mellissa will be the most photographed cat on next week Smile

I suppose I will bring a Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 lens too, who knows , perhaps I will find interesting insects.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
... not a good idea to bring the best and rare lenses to a trip.

I don't know, Attila, maybe I would not bring the rare lenses, but I would always bring my best lenses.
You never know when or if you can come back to a certain place. That's why you need your best equipment at hand.

Lenses need to be used (carefully of course), this is the best for them.
Don't worry about fungus on a short trip, clean your lenses after you have used them and put them at a place where they can get light.

Even if I break one of my lenses, I would not regret having brought it, since it died "in action". I would regret if a lens died from fungus, because I haven't used it... You know what I mean?

This is the good part of having no irreplaceable lens. Wink

Last edited by LucisPictor on Wed May 30, 2007 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I would lot of animals around me I guess Mellissa will be the most photographed cat on next week Smile

And here she ie, just taken, next to my oleander in full bloom Smile

Picture taken with the Summicron 50.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty lady, magnificent! I can't wait to play with her.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More of oleander, under-exposed on purpose:

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A change of lens!
Same subject, but Helios-40 this time.
I guess the comparison of this with the Summicron shows well how much, far from photography being a necessarily identical reproduction of reality, each lens can impose its character on a picture:

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And again Helios-40 (the silver one)
No filter what so ever!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the reason why I love to shoot with MF lenses. Every lens has own personality.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
peterqd wrote:
...35mm Mir-24 f/2...

Wow! This is said to be a great lens. Congratulations, Peter!

I've had this lens since before last Christmas Carsten. Remember the photographs I took in February of the town where I work?

While I'm away I'm going to take some comparable shots with this lens and the Flek 2.4/35 (which recently came mounted on a damaged Zenit E that I won for ?4 Smile Click here to see on Ebay ). My feeling is that the Mir will be the winner, particularly at wide apertures. Watch this space.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous looking English city and pictures looks wider than 35mm. How about MIR-20mm ? I saw in local camera shop around 100 EUR .