Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Electro 35 - More Scans, But Not as Good
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Electro 35 - More Scans, But Not as Good Reply with quote

I tried using the same parameters on these Royal Gold 200 print film negatives, as I used for the Provia slide film.

It didn't work well at all, so I re-scanned using Silverfast (Sharpening On, Kodak Enabled).

However, these still don't match the clean scans from the last thread that I posted about Electro 35.

In the first image you can see the "blobs" of compromised detail, caused mostly by the film curl...
I'm surprised that Epson doesn't try to come up with better negative holders.

In the image with the frost on the trees, the original negative is VERY sharp, but there are two things that degrade the image.
1) Artifacts from Web sizing 2) Focus problems from negative curl.

Inconsistency is my downfall with this scanner. Confused

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry,
Have you tried to place your negatives under a heavy book or two for one week before scanning them?
Hardly a technologically sophisticated solution, but it seems to have worked for me Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Larry,
Have you tried to place your negatives under a heavy book or two for one week before scanning them?
Hardly a technologically sophisticated solution, but it seems to have worked for me Smile

Good idea! Why didn't I think of that? Razz

I've just placed the negs under a heavy dictionary! Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Electro 35 - More Scans, But Not as Good Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

There are third-party holders that are considerably superior to Epsons efforts. I can recommend the film holders from Doug Fisher (http://www.betterscanning.com/)

Sevo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Electro 35 - More Scans, But Not as Good Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
Laurence wrote:

There are third-party holders that are considerably superior to Epsons efforts. I can recommend the film holders from Doug Fisher (http://www.betterscanning.com/)

Sevo

Thanks Sevo, I forgot about Doug's holders. I do have one for the medium format slides. So, I'll contact him about a 35mm holder. THANKS AGAIN!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the fire hydrant. I have often thought about doing a series just on them. I think I will do it now!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maddog10 wrote:
Love the fire hydrant. I have often thought about doing a series just on them. I think I will do it now!

Go for it, Mad Dog! A great idea! I'll be looking for some hydrants from you... Surprised

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maddog10 wrote:

Great idear. You could start a tread "show me your fire hydrant"

Great pictures, I really need to buy a scanner.