Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which medium format...for a beginner?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Which medium format...for a beginner? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been thinking for a while about the medium format cameras. Which one would you recommend to start with and how much would I have to spend? (I don't mind if it is cheap and nasty as long as it is in perfect working condition) What would you buy? I must say that I am not looking at buying one straight way (I am committed to buying some items right now from another member of this forum...so nothing for a while to be honest)

It is that I want to know what I am looking at, I find info and, by the time I finally decide, I have saved (hopefully) enough money to make myself with one.

As always, thanks,

Fer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/some-med-format-advice-t11626.html

Take a look on this thread...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My God Attila...that was quick Very Happy

I will have a look and get back with questions...if any Wink

Thanks,
Fer

Attila wrote:
http://forum.mflenses.com/some-med-format-advice-t11626.html

Take a look on this thread...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLR is best for first Medium format Very Happy
Look for amazing landscapes from Larry and street shoots from Iha.
You can have a nice one for EUR 100 or take a chance for even less.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the only bits I can add to the other discussion is a history of how I got into MF, and perhaps what I'd do diffrently or next.

I started with a beat up Franka 4.5x6 folder with a foggy lens my daughter found in the house. How it got there I don't know! Anyway, after a couple of years I figured I'd check the shutter... it worked. Everything else but the lens seemed operational, so we tried some film.

I was hooked.

Next I bought a large-ish Bessa I 6x9 with a 4.5x6 insert, Vaskar lens. Pretty good, but not quite what I had in mind. (I've since learned to collimate the lens so the results should be better...)

I lucked into a pre-war Bessa 66 with a Skopar - this is very nice indeed for vintage. One of my favorite cameras, given its limitations.

I wanted some focus ability. (There are vintage coupled rf folders, but many I found difficult to peer through)

So I went TLR. First a Diacord - excellent lens, well made camera. Then, a Yashica Mat 124G fully reconditioned. Good lens too, and a meter. My daughter loves these! They are light and solid cameras. And good images in modern (not just vintage) terms.

So what am I missing? These all have fixed lenses... it would be nice to be able to change a lens. The TLRs are excellent but boxy, the folders fit into pockets but take a bit of thought with focus etc.

Most of the MF SLRs I've seen / felt are large and heavy. Yeah, I could get used to one, but so far I'm a bit intimidated.

But there are some range finder MF's out there - some with interchangeable lenses. Fuji made some very nice ones, fixed lens ones. I'm coveting one of these. Mamiya made/makes some very nice interchangeable lens ones, a bit more money, but very tempting to me.

Finally, there's the new Cosina/Voigtlander/Fuji folder coming out. Serious lust for that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Andy's recommendation for TSLR as getting into MF arena.
You can get Yashica Mat 124G or Minolta Autocord (III), Rollei-flexes are
good/better but more expensive these days.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had only one experience with TLR, Rolleiflex Planar 3,5 for 3 or 4 years.

It's so heavy for my, I need always a tripod. If I could handheld, no more SLR to me.

I never try the voigtlander folder or agfa ones. It's seems to me that is difficult to the lens to be parallel to the focal plane. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica MAT is lightweight Rhino, no problem to use handheld.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Yashica MAT is lightweight Rhino, no problem to use handheld.

I never use it, I will try. I hear that the yashinon is very good at F/8, 11 and 16. (better at F/11?).

Regards, RINO.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/filmcamera/yashica_mat_124g/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/filmcamera/yashica_mat_124g/