Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My "new" Tokina/Sears 90-230mm f/4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: My "new" Tokina/Sears 90-230mm f/4.5 Reply with quote

Can't focus to infinity and can't focus close enough to do macro with either... Luckily, it should do just fine for portraits. And it's actually a real looker too. Now I just need some money to be able to run some film past it...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9feet/3m is about the closest that will do.

You should get infinity though. What adapter are you using ?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not using an adapter, I'm using a Spotmatic. Am I maybe mounting the lens wrong (I just screw it onto the camera until it's tight and won't turn anymore. The lens always looks "right side up" at this point, so I's assume I'm doing it right, but as this is my first screwmount camera and lens, I really don't know) I know that the lens was made in both M-42 and T-mount, but I'm pretty sure that all the ones branded as Sears were M-42, and I'm sure this is, as attaching a T-Mount like this (if possible at all) would lead to a loss of CLOSE focus rather than infinity, and since I'm getting focus down to 5 or 6 feet rather than 8-9, I know that SOMETHING's up, I just don't know what.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are mounting it just fine.

Do you get infinity at 230mm ?

Mine doesn't get infinity at 90mm either.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
You are mounting it just fine.

Do you get infinity at 230mm ?

Mine doesn't get infinity at 90mm either.

Mine won't focus to infinity at ANY focal length.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a "new" one !

The Kiron 85-205/3.8 is a better lens btw.

Same vast range of labels. Usually seen as a Vivitar.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
You need a "new" one !

The Kiron 85-205/3.8 is a better lens btw.

Same vast range of labels. Usually seen as a Vivitar.

If I can get another lens for 15 bucks on ebay, I will. It's just I have to wait for the bargains. I have to make my $25 gift certificate I got for my last birthday last Wink