Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Macro adapter for M42 Soligor 55mm f:2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Macro adapter for M42 Soligor 55mm f:2.8 Reply with quote

I just got myself a 55mm Soligor Macro f:2.8 and the lens seems very decent but i don't have the original adapter ring to get 1:1.
The adapter is the part under the aperture ring with green text on it (pic borrowed from ebay).

Is there something special about this adapter or can I use basic M42 extension rings (which I have plenty)?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i'll answer this myself in case someone else needs this info in the future.

I performed a little test last night. I took pics of text on my computer screen (only place with enough light without a flash).

With only the Soligor Lens in 1:2 setting a 3mm letter on my screen was close to 1,5mm on my K100D sensor.

With a 30mm extension ring attached the 3mm letter produced a 3mm image on the sensor. This is 1:1, right? (The dedicated adapter in the pic seems to about the same lenght)

With a full set (61mm) of extension rings I could get to something like 1,5:1.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are indeed getting 1:1

I have the same lens in the Sears brand, with the matched adapter.

The adapter is just an extension tube (or ring), so its easy to replace, if all you want is to get to 1:1 or better.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That lens is a Kiron (Kino Precision), also sold under Elicar, Vivitar and Panagor brand names, under f:3.0 and f:2.8.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flor27 wrote:
That lens is a Kiron (Kino Precision), also sold under Elicar, Vivitar and Panagor brand names, under f:3.0 and f:2.8.

But those lenses reach to 1:1 without adapter. I have Quantary 55mm f3.0. But it maybe possible that the extension tube is part of helical/focusing mechanism.

If its the same lens, you will find tis lens top quality. One of fav lens.
You can browse my set on FLickr,
http://flickr.com/photos/asbalyan/sets/72157601352960217/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent had time to really test this lens yet, but the build quality is very nice. I couldn't find much info on the lens on the net but somewhere someone said that it was built by Komine (which also made lenses for Vivitar I believe)

luisalegria: Do you have any info on the origin of this lens? How about IQ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:
But those lenses reach to 1:1 without adapter. I have Quantary 55mm f3.0. But it maybe possible that the extension tube is part of helical/focusing mechanism.

Yes you are write : the 55mm 1:1 macro lenses have double helicoid, both the front and the rear extends from the focusing ring :

http://www.pbase.com/niblue/image/88358005

About the IQ, the nicest one if perfect lack of any distortion :

http://homepage3.nifty.com/3rdpartylens-om/sakurei/VIVITAR55MACRO-2.htm

Last edited by Flor27 on Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea about the origin of this.

This is mine -

http://forum.mflenses.com/auto-sears-55-2-8-macro-t7108,highlight,sears+macro.html

I have seen it sold as a Soligor and as Sears, each with different styles of focusing grip, knurled metal and rubber. Probably the metal grip version was earlier production. I have a Sears catalog of 1976 listing the rubber-grip version. I think it may have been made in M42 only.

It could be Komine, certainly.

If it was sold as a Vivitar the serial number would tell what it was.

Ballu, Flor,

The added extension is just a simple removable M42 extension ring, with stop-down linkage. It isn't part of the focusing mechanism.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems a Komine, as Viv 55/2.8 serial number starts with 28.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't this thing be considered a Volna-9 equivalent ? The specs seem identical.

50-55mm f/2.8-16 1:2 Macro. Both are sharp lenses.

This one is just an automatic vs the preset Volna. The bokeh is quite good on this one as far as I can tell, not being a bokeh connoisseur.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many macro lenses were Tessar design based.