Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

pentax 200mm or takumar 200mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: pentax 200mm or takumar 200mm Reply with quote

I aim to buy an M pentax 200m f / 4 (I have heard very good things) or the well-known super Takuma 200mm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/takumar/super_takumar_200mm_f4/
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/takumar/smc_takumar_200mm_f4/

I have both lens, but my M lens is unusable fungused, so I don't have any idea how good. M42 lenses are great see links above.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the links Attila, the SMC is expensive, and the super seems to have less quality than the pentax 200mm.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quiet common lens with a bit patient you can buy SMC quiet cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and do you think will get better results than with pentax.
I see that you have a pentax 200mm f / 4, is not happy?
I would be better for the K mount, but if the quality is the same as Takuma.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 200mm f4 K lens is heavily fungused it produce bad pictures. So I can't say anything about that. I loved SMC and Super both, I sold them because I have a couple of better lenses in 200mm range.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revinhood wrote:
and do you think will get better results than with pentax.
I see that you have a pentax 200mm f / 4, is not happy?
I would be better for the K mount, but if the quality is the same as Takuma.

How about Pentax SMC A- 70-210/4 zoom? It's image quality is pretty much similar to the 200/4 and it is more versatile. And it can be used in DSLR more easily as it support all exposure modes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a prime lens is better than a zoom.
speak well of that zooms, but ..... I already have a sigma 70-300, jejeje. I want something less than 200mm
example
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&message=28505136&q=pentax+M+200mm+f+4&qf=m

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/Tamron/tamron_200mm_f3_5_04b/

Tamron 200mm f3.5 pretty good one and going cheaply.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both (my takumar is a SMC). I prefer Takumar, colours are a little bit more natural, and (last but not least) on digital pentax you will get better exposure with takumar than with M-lens. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to aboard Atar!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Attila Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benvenuto Atar

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: pentax 200mm or takumar 200mm Reply with quote

revinhood wrote:
I aim to buy an M pentax 200m f / 4 (I have heard very good things) or the well-known super Takuma 200mm

As a rule of thumb (there are few exceptions), Super-Takumar, SMC-Takumar or SMC-Pentax lenses are better than "M" series lenses. The "M" series were new designs launched with the diminutive Pentax MX and ME compact SLR cameras. Theses lenses were smaller than their predecessors, but very often at the cost of image quality. Most "M" series telephoto lenses have more chromatic aberrations than the SMC-Takumar or SMC-Pentax equivalents. Most "M" wide angle lenses exhibit more distortion and more vignetting than their bigger siblings. If you don't need the compact size of the "M" series, you'd better go for the older SMC lenses.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: pentax 200mm or takumar 200mm Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
revinhood wrote:

As a rule of thumb (there are few exceptions), Super-Takumar, SMC-Takumar or SMC-Pentax lenses are better than "M" series lenses. The "M" series were new designs launched with the diminutive Pentax MX and ME compact SLR cameras. Theses lenses were smaller than their predecessors, but very often at the cost of image quality. Most "M" series telephoto lenses have more chromatic aberrations than the SMC-Takumar or SMC-Pentax equivalents. Most "M" wide angle lenses exhibit more distortion and more vignetting than their bigger siblings. If you don't need the compact size of the "M" series, you'd better go for the older SMC lenses.

Cheers!

Abbazz

The pentax 200mm M is also SMC.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: pentax 200mm or takumar 200mm Reply with quote

revinhood wrote:

Of course, like almost every lens made by Pentax since 1971.

The screwmount lenses produced by Pentax wore the name "Takumar". First came the Takumar in 1952, then the Auto-takumar in 1958, the Super-Takumar in 1962, the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar in 1971 and the SMC-Takumar in 1973. Pentax stopped using the Takumar name in 1975 when the "K" bayonet mount was adopted.

The first lenses using the new bayonet were labelled "SMC PENTAX." That's why I used this denomination to distinguish them from the later "SMC PENTAX M" lenses, which are usually called the "M series." But all the lenses in K mount were indeed SMC coated -- except a few lenses destined to be sold under distributor brands as well as the infamous "Takumar (bayonet)" lenses. What a shame for Pentax to recycle the glorious "Takumar" name for these low specs lenses without mutlicoating!

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: pentax 200mm or takumar 200mm Reply with quote

revinhood wrote:

Yes, but it's written in lower case letters: "smc". I agree fully with Abbazz, the best lenses are S-M-C or SMC (M42 mount).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try looking for a SMC Takuma 200mm.
the super Takuma are good?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have little difference, SMC a bit better.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takuma the SMC should be my lens.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the Takumars are the same optical formula - 5 groups 5 elements. The difference is the super-multi-coating and the barrel style.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soikka wrote:
How about Pentax SMC A- 70-210/4 zoom? It's image quality is pretty much similar to the 200/4 and it is more versatile. And it can be used in DSLR more easily as it support all exposure modes

I agree with you about the A70-210/4. I have that lens and I have taken some good pictures with it. Since it is not a prime, it is generally a lot cheaper than it should be. It has great colours and contrast and it is acceptably sharp wide open with a very smooth bokeh (in my colloection of lenses, it is only second to my CZJ 135/3.5 in that respect). Here's an example:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3134/2835309797_e05a5b4c18.jpg?v=0

I have recently bought a S-M-C Takumar 200/4. The most immediate difference is that the closest focus of the Tak is 2.5m, whereas the A70-210 at 210 the closest focus is 1.2m (but at 70 it has a "macro" setting that will take you closer). The S-M-C tak is also sharp wide open and has good colours and contrast, but I find that the bokeh wide open can be a bit harsh, as you can see here:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2092/2943999103_cefff9e35f.jpg?v=0

Incidentally, this last pic was taken using a 35mm extension tube, which brings the close focus to a more manageable distance.

The Tak is 49mm filter and the A70-210/4 is 58mm, but the A lens has a built-in hood whereas you have to add your own hood to the Tak (and, even though my S-M-C Tak has super multi coating, I have found that I *do* need a hood). The A lens, of course, has auto-aperture, but since the Tak is M42 it also works fine in Av, only requiring a flick of the Auto/Man switch for open aperture focusing. The Tak is smaller, but because it appears to have been hewn out of a solid block of metal by greek foundry gods it is heavier Laughing . The A70-210 is also metal, and the focusing is smooth, but it does not have the same "artisan-created" feel of the S-M-C Tak.

I've only had the Tak for a few days so I need to use it more to see how best to use it, but at the moment the A70-210/4 has the edge (just) in terms of IQ, IMO. However, the S-M-C Tak is a beautiful piece of metal and glass, and is so tactile, so I will keep it.

Richard

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some images from the Super-Takumar 200mm f4.
A wonderful lens and easy to find cheaply.
OH

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soikka wrote:

I at least mostly agree with this. The A 70-210/4 is a very good lens, and is more flexible (both for having a 3:1 FL range, and for having a Ka mount for metering simplicity). However, it is bigger and heavier than a 200/4, and, as a zoom, I do not think it optically betters the K 200/4 prime (or even the M 200/4 prime).

Last edited by fwcetus on Tue May 03, 2016 2:57 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: pentax 200mm or takumar 200mm Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:

I would generally agree with this. I would almost always choose a "K" lens over any M "replacement".

However, there can be exceptions (as Abbazz suggested) -- e.g., the M* 300/4 and its optical twin, the A* 300/4, despite their smaller size, are better long telephotos than is the "K" 300/4.