Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I'm in peace with the 50D now
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: I'm in peace with the 50D now Reply with quote

I have understood how I have to handle it - I have to expose to the right as much as possible. And I have only to use the best lenses. This way it works Smile

Planar 1.4/85:

100% crop of previous:

100% crop of previous:

Another great thing for me: the BIG IS adapters prove to be dead centred with the focus, as you can see from the samples. This is very VERY good news for me!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Very Happy Shocked
That looks amazing.
When you use the 5D do you expose to the right?
I do with the 5 but not as much with the 40 Confused

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:

When you use the 5D do you expose to the right?
I do with the 5 but not as much with the 40 Confused

With the 5D I can underexpose by two stops and barely notice it after I boosted the exposure in BBPro...
I guess it's the advantage of a 12MP full frame camera... that I will never sell!
With the 50D, I need more photographing discipline. That's not necessarily a bad thing Wink

As you can see, the 50D really gets close to the 5D for resolution... but a full frame camera it's not just resolution, it's also
-in this case- a lot of room to play with and rescue missed exposure photos... that makes a difference,
I think, between an amateur camera and a semipro camera.

I tell you what, if i had the money, I would probably buy a second 5D rather than a new 5D2. You can really abuse the 5D
and not care at all and still get great photos out of it. I don't know if this will be still possible on a 21 MP camera.
My guess is that the IQ will be on par or even better, but that the 5D2 will leave less room and require more discipline to shoot, just like the 50D.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! impressive
I just try the 85 1.4 on the 40D and cat hairs are definitely softer
100% crop

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 50D must have a very weak AA filter. Probably even weaker than that of the 5D. I have noticed because I have a lot of balconies
visible from the rear of my apartment, and they moire like crazy both in the viewfinder and in live view
(even more than what the 50D does), whereas with the 400D they did not moire at all.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome results, Orio! This Big IS adapter, where can one find this?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Awesome results, Orio! This Big IS adapter, where can one find this?

At the Big IS shop, where else? Wink
http://myworld.ebay.com/big_is/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio

I think luminous landscapes were among the first to preach the "expose to the right" philosophy? Anyway you seem to have it under control. The presence of the AA filter seems to be a double-edged sword from the sharpness point of view. There is a company out there that has been offering to remoe it completely from some nikons, with surprisingly good results to show for it. Personally I don't think I would have the nerve.

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick,
I remember when I bought the 5D, I was so angry because it made moire on all the regular objects!
But then I understood this is the price to pay to have a scharper camera. So in the end it's a good tradeoff. Better to have a moired fence once in a while, than all of your pictures soft. <shrug>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent results, Orio!
See? I have told you, you will like this cam. Laughing

Do you use EV correction as a standard setting?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Do you use EV correction as a standard setting?

No, because I see that it raises the noise Mad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From those samples it looks like you've got to grips with the camera Very Happy

That's superb resolution! I think the compromise with noise risk if the exposure isn't spot on is arguably worth it. It really allows superb glass to do it's trick.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Patrick,
I remember when I bought the 5D, I was so angry because it made moire on all the regular objects!
But then I understood this is the price to pay to have a scharper camera. So in the end it's a good tradeoff. Better to have a moired fence once in a while, than all of your pictures soft. <shrug>

It's an interesting call, and one to which I don't think there's a right answer.

My 'new' D50 has a very weak aa filter compared to my D700, and moire can be an issue, but the D50 consequently produces very sharp files for a 6mp sensor (and is sensitive to IR). On the other hand moire isn't an issue with the D700, and the files only needs slight sharpening to really bring out the best. I'm sitting on the fence Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard, I had the D50 for awhile, loved the handling of that cam!

This "expose to the right" entails not pulling down the right side of your
pants to expose the right butt cheek but something else? Laughing Is this
adjusting exposure +1, +2 in-camera settings?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:
From those samples it looks like you've got to grips with the camera Very Happy
That's superb resolution! I think the compromise with noise risk if the exposure isn't spot on is arguably worth it. It really allows superb glass to do it's trick.

Yes, the main drawback for someone like me that shoots live events with manual lenses that are not built for the camera,
and therefore have unpredictable effects on the light meter, is that I risk to burn highlights in some pictures when shooting fast
without the time to check exposure between one take and the other.
On the other hand, we're talking of a camera that, VAT excluded, costs 900-something Euros... 3 or 4 times less than the 1D.
So... I really can't complain <shrug>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

Laughing
Well, the basic technique is to watch your histogram. So make sure that the histogram is displayed in your camera's image preview.
Ideally you should expose so that the right limit of the histogram is approached but not exceeded. When shooting RAW,
you have a little overexposure room that you can recover while developing, but it's not much. So better to tale care before shooting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This "exposing to the right" stuff is pretty interesting, since it contradicts what we have learned about digital photography some time ago: burned highlights are gone, details in the dark areas can be resurrected.

I use the 350D with -0.3 EV and the 40D without in cam EV correction.

It seems that the newer a cam is the more this "exposing to the right" gets important. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
This "exposing to the right" stuff is pretty interesting, since it contradicts what we have learned about digital photography some time ago: burned highlights are gone, details in the dark areas can be resurrected.

Well, it does not really contradict it, in fact you are supposed to get as near as possible to the limit but not to trespass it Wink

LucisPictor wrote:
It seems that the newer a cam is the more this "exposing to the right" gets important. Wink

Yes, and it's because the higher pixel count facilitates the creation of noise, and so you are forced to take the best possible exposure in order to keep the file clean.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Orio! Now THESE images DO jump out at me! Way to go! I knew you would find the way.

Superb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is moire? Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barata wrote:

It's a blend of two words: more ire... Laughing

Also Irish girl's name, this is probably not helping is it.

OK, for moiré:

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=moire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oleander flower at 640 ISO, almost twilight time, lens is Contax 3.5/100 used wide open:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm REALLY liking this, Orio.

The image is showing dimensionality and clean pure colors.

I suppose it's the lens, mostly, that gives this dimensional effect? As well as the coloration?

Bokeh is very sweet too!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Barata wrote:

It's a blend of two words: more ire... Laughing

Also Irish girl's name, this is probably not helping is it.

OK, for moiré:

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=moire

I see you like to play jokes on me! Laughing

Thanks for the link! Wink

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Katastrofo wrote:

Laughing
Well, the basic technique is to watch your histogram. So make sure that the histogram is displayed in your camera's image preview.
Ideally you should expose so that the right limit of the histogram is approached but not exceeded. When shooting RAW,
you have a little overexposure room that you can recover while developing, but it's not much. So better to tale care before shooting.

I'll be RTFM-ing some more, but I don't think the *istD (Gawd I hate this
name) has live histogram view. I looked at the BIG_IS adapters and they
are all chromed, not black, but it doesn't seem you have any flare problems with the shots you've pasted up with the 50D, nope, not at all.
BIG_IS adapters are running less than half the price, too.