Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Any worthless Zeiss lenses out there?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: Any worthless Zeiss lenses out there? Reply with quote

First, I'd just like to say that I'm really glad to be here. Getting into DSLR video, and I'm thus very interested in MF lenses.

Someone in my area has put up for sale a lot of 9 random lenses, about which he knows basically nothing, except that at least one of them is a Carl Zeiss (dunno if it's CZ or CZJ or what).

The picture of the lot is, to say the least, not very detailed. It's a bit of a hike for me to head up there, but I think I may bite the bullet.

I can't get either a link or an image code or the text of where the image is located to work, so unfortunately I can't show the image here.

Are there any Zeiss SLR lenses that are just transcendently worthless? He's not asking much for them all.

The one bit of bad news is he doesn't think any of them screw on, which most likely rules out any of them being M42, which means adapting them could be difficult.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abe, you give us practically no details at all:
- no photo
- no price
- no names of the lenses
- no words on their conditions
and ask us for an opinion if to buy or not - but we are photographers, not diviners Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of details is exactly the problem. That's why I tried to focus my question on whether or not there are any Zeiss 35mm lenses that are entirely worthless. That's the only positive detail I've heard so far. I tried to link to his (very poor) photo, or to upload it, or to just provide the URL, but the forum didn't seem to allow any of that.

The price, however, I can give you: for the lot of 9 lenses, he wanted $50.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abe in space wrote:
The lack of details is exactly the problem. That's why I tried to focus my question on whether or not there are any Zeiss 35mm lenses that are entirely worthless. That's the only positive detail I've heard so far. I tried to link to his (very poor) photo, or to upload it, or to just provide the URL, but the forum didn't seem to allow any of that.

The price, however, I can give you: for the lot of 9 lenses, he wanted $50.

The price makes it a no brainer.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd tell you to get them.

Since I got my DSLR, I bought about ~12 lens from local sellers without thinking about it. I spent about ~$200 CAD total and got around ~$350 CAD selling the part I won't use on ebay (Body, lens I didn't like, etc...).

That $50 you'll spent will end up in one of this category :

1. You love the lenses, you just keep them.
2. You got some some OK and "Bad" lens. You sell the "bad" one on the bay (listing them as best as you can)... you get back ~$20-30 (maybe more).
3. You got a bunch of useless lens. You sell them $5 each... you've got your $50 back (well, almost).

I'm not telling you to sell them as "like new" or "good condition" if they are not. What I mean by "bad" is "Something you don't want/wont use".
If you list something cheap, someone might want it. You might think its junk to your eyes, but other might love it.

On another note, one thing you could do to "show" us the picture is taking a screenshot of your screen and uploading it to the forum Very Happy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I figured it was a no-brainer. My current brokeness just gave me a bit of a silly pause about it.

As far as the picture, it seems I've finally gotten it working. Here. It's pretty awful, and looks a bit more like a shot from Hoarders than a 'for sale' listing, but there you are.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait... that looks like a pile of point and shoot lens... nothing for (D)SLR :S.
Notice those small little doors that probably open when controlled electronically... I got those same "doors" on my old Canon Powershot.

Try to have more information from where they came... or if you can actually look at them before buying... make sure they are for SLR camera.

edit : HOoo and some of those Point and Shot camera do have "Carl Zeiss" lens.

edit 2: Looks like a pile of this : http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/keivn13579/product-detailWMqnUSzVnors/China-Lens-Zoom-Unit-Assembly-OEM-Part-for-Canon-Powershot-A470.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and here I thought that picture wouldn't be useful.

Anyway, I don't have to commit to buying before I look; it's more that the seller is around 45 minutes' drive each way.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember well, but people were not too fond of the Meyer 400 (?)
I think I remember they also "made" (branded) some Cosina-like zooms after 1989, these would be not really czj

As for the acquirement, there are lots of lots on ebay... personally I factor in the lack of AF and comfort functions, AF prime $50 bucks, M42 prime cheaper, comes often with "old camera"

If you are inclined to spend $50 for nine unknown "old lenses", well certainly I could come up with something.. enlarger lens, C-lens, meopta, that 85-210 zoom I never use, oh and I got this Minolta MC lens without body, really good, and...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the picture I agree that they look like the lens (and possibly sensor) assemblies from digital point'n'shoot cameras—utterly useless.

In any case, is your seller unable to read and write? Ask him to just type in verbatim all the text on each lens and you'll know more. If he's not willing to do that, then I'd say forget it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They *could* be Minolta AF lenses...seller needs to give you more info.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one M-AF lens with these funny I know of, the old 35-80 with snap (manually operated)

it is widely regarded as bad

and if I recall correctly, the blades form a horizontal line, not / or \

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I asked again and he described them as "really small." Seems like a definite bust. Thanks guys.